L E D christmas lights cheap but need painting

After Christmas Dyas are doing their led christmas lights at half price plus 15% off.

I got 100 white leds for £5 odd. But they are too bright and overpowering.

Is there any *transparent* type paint set or similar, that i could colour them and tone them down with ?

Reply to
john.west

You can buy small tins of coloured laquer paint in shops that sell models (toys for kids, that is, not oggles for big boys) or craft supplies.

Reply to
Andrew

Or even experiment with ladeez nail varnish

Reply to
Andrew

Or adding resistors ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Would they look good on a tree or bush outside?

Reply to
GB

Transparent acrylic - sold by model shops.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Any type of paint used for that will look fine when applied, but terrible o nce the lights power up. DAMHIKT. The sensible solution is to reduce curren t. Coloured sweet wrappers give an even amount of colour if you must, thoug h the colours don't come out as strong as the wrappers look so be prepared to double layers on some.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I remember an actual paint for the job residing in a desk for years on a ship, it was used to colour red the occasional lamp over the chart table for use at night. Saved bothering the grumpy electrician to change the lamp if it failed at night , took a clear lamp from elsewhere and dipped it. Ships electricians make the engineers look angelic and remember Pounder on here was a ships engineer.

Worked well enough. A quick search shows Conrad as one supplier of something similar.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Up to the 1970s, "lamp lacquer" was quite common to colour light bulbs. Good theatrical suppliers stocked it.

Reply to
charles

Open up the power supply and lower the drive to them. Will use less electricity and the set should also last longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ulb-lacquer

Would have been cheaper to buy the half price coloured ones in Tesco for £7

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Just pass them onto someone who wants bright ones - plenty seem to want them. And buy some that you like.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I wanted to cut down the output from a 3.5W warm white LED to just a glow. Tried a black marker and it did the job. For black, it's quite translucent, patchy of course and the light is more red than it was. Other colours are available.

Reply to
PeterC

Do they get significantly warmer?

Reply to
RJH

Not that I've noticed - it's still warm, but only about 35C at most.

Reply to
PeterC

Permanent marker pen. I used these pens to 'paint' over bright LEDS in equipment

Reply to
alan_m