Kitchen carousel units

...specifically, the one made by Ninka and sold by B&Q:

short version

Has anyone here ever installed one? I confess to being baffled by the single diagrammatic sheet of assembly instructions, and to judge by some of the comments on the B&Q site I'm not alone.

Most of the procedure is pretty obvious, but the assembly at the base of the column, the "brake/cam" has me defeated, at least temporarily. I simply can't fathom how it should be orientated relative to the front of the cabinet, and how it's supposed to function.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Here are the instructions:

short version

Bert Coules

Try Youtube for instructional videos.

Google youtube kitchen carousel

Reply to
alan_m

... and why would you want to do that, it would simply be a nuisance preventing it from going round and round.

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think the idea must be to provide a stop position where the carousel shelves permit the doors to close, but I still can't fathom out how this is meant to happen. If I can, I'll post some pictures of the fittings later today.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I still can't fathom out how this is meant to happen. If I can, I'll post

Go to B&Q and look at theirs, that's what I did with my Wickes ones, it worked!

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

Yes, I think that's going to be the only way I'll work it out, though it will probably have to involve some highly undignified lying on the floor with a torch. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

What makes you think that the fitter at B&Q got it right? :)

It's worth reading the reviews:

rubbish instruction the instructions that come with this item are utterly useless. they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Easy to fit Instructions not very clear, but once you get your head around it it's pretty easy to install, even to retro-fit to old cupboard. Seems reasonably robust...time will tell!

Instructions were incorrect for positioning of the spindle.

Good luck. :)

Reply to
GB

But you just go through 360 degrees and back to where you started. If you're getting something from right at the back it's easier and quicker to continue turning in the same direction after getting what you wanted.

Reply to
Chris Green

I did, though not until after I'd bought it (which I did from a different supplier, whose site didn't include reviews...).

With the cam device fitted in the only logical place for it to go (there are moulded lugs with screw holes on the underside of the shelf) it's visible when the unit is in position. I found a non-B&Q picture of the carousel in place in a cabinet and it's not in evidence at all, which suggests that I'm not the only one who's baffled. I think the odds are strong that the B&Q fitter might, as you suggest, have taken the same approach.

Reply to
Bert Coules

This is the fitting in question. The lower plate isn't necessarily in the correct position, since it's not yet screwed down:

Short version

And here is a trade picture:

Short version

Bert Coules

The purpose of the cam is (I guess!) to hold the trays in the position shown in your photo. So, you can close the doors without risk of the carousels rotating into the way of the doors.

I can't see the shape of the cam, but at a guess the lug at the front of your picture should engage with the cam to hold the carousel.

Reply to
GB

I had a look at the instructions, and the lug at the front is referred to as the cam. The bit at the bottom on the cabinet is referred to as teh brake fitting plate. They are show in the instructions as lining up. I think they need to do that when the carousel is in the right position to close the doors.

Reply to
GB

Thanks for the new replies. I think the best approach is to temporarily fix the braking plate (with a single screw) in what seems like the logical position and see what the effect is.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Well that took a bit of doing but I seem to have got there. After carefully measuring and calculating the right position of the braking moulding and finding that the "correct" position wasn't actually correct at all, I set it up by eye and now all appears well:

Short version

The hard-plastic cam slides across the softer-plastic brake and settles into a central position. I suspect that in time things will wear and the locating won't be as positive, but for now it works nicely, at least with the shelves empty. It's possible that the minor jerk necessary to revolve the shelves will make whatever's stored on them shake and rattle a shade but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions.

Reply to
Bert Coules

We have had ours for ten years and it still works fine.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Jonathan, if you installed it yourself, did you have any problems puzzling out the fitting?

Reply to
Bert Coules