Kingfisher / B&Q feeling the pinch?...

people

year,

So 45 percent can't (access the internet from home), then there are those who can't use the internet for online commerce, this figure is bound to be higher than 50 percent (those that don't have internet access plus those who can't use online commerce), if everyone accessing the internet had CC's there would be no need for 'pay as you go' accounts or BT payment via the phone bill. It's been a long time since one *had* to have a CC to access the services of an ISP.

As for 2/3rd of the adult population having used the internet, some of that access will be through internet cafe's, local libraries or work / education place computers, many of those access points are not conducive to online commerce (if not actually restricted).

I'm still of the opinion that, in the UK, there are more people unable to use online commerce than there people who can.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On 17 Sep 2005, :::Jerry:::: wrote

Re:

I'm amazed that retailing never seems to cotton on to this: it's not as if it's a new phenomenon.

Wunceponatime, when British Gas -- as a monopoly -- had high street stores, you could go to the back of the shop and pay your gas bill to someone sitting behind a teller's wicket.

The front of the shop was used to flog cookers and other stuff, and this (obviously) made a way higher margin than some poor shmuck sitting behind a wicket taking payments that were going to be made anyway.

So they abolished the wicket -- because it underperformed -- and pointed you to the Post Office to pay your bill, so that they could deploy their staff to sell cookers instead. To punters who no longer bothered to come into the shop: they couldn't pay their bill there any more, and there was no reason to go inside. And then they wondered why the shops were losing money....

It's not a complex equation, and I really don't understand how retailers still get it wrong. (M&S is another example. Don't get me started on the hunt for patterned long socks.)

Do the advisers at B&Q really think I'll make a special trip to check out their selection of home furnishings if they're no longer stocking the mundane stuff that I need to get? (If I'm going to make a special trip to look at MFI- or IKEA-like shmutter, why on earth wouldn't I just go to MFI or IKEA instead?)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I think that one has to split out those who are unwilling rather than unable.

For retailers, those in the lowest income groups are not the most attractive customers.

So if one looks at those with access and who have spending power then the numbers increase significantly, and the "able-to-spend-but-don't-want-to-do-so-or-be-on-line" a small number and not interesting to retailers anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

can't /

home

previous

long

ISP.

some

The base point is that a percentage are not using online commerce, it doesn't matter why, just that they are not.

number

In your warped opinion, IMO...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

|| I'm amazed that retailing never seems to cotton on to this: it's not || as if it's a new phenomenon.

This is because, by and large, the management teams are made up of 'professional managers' and not people who have spent time in the business. Most companies are run by complete wankers IMO.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It does to the retailers and other businesses. If they cared out universality of reach with their products and merchandising, there wouldn't be detailed analysis of each carried out by market research firms. As it is, there are shed loads of data and businesses certainly do try to target their activities to maximimise return and profit.

If those on line don't represent a significant business opportunity for them, why would they bother?

Well.... I didn't say that it was a good thing to have a section of the population disenfranchised from access to more choice of products and price competition, but that's the way it is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it doesn't, the fact is that people are not using online commerce, the reasons why and the solutions are beyond the retailers control so they should be worrying about other thing that they can have an effect on.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

To a large extent, they are beyond the retailer's control, although some retailers do offer better prices for buying on line.

However, we do know that a large proportion of those not on line are in the lower income and expenditure groups and the remainder are those who don't see the value or just don't want to use E-Commerce.

The lower income groups are not so likely to be spending money on the higher value and margin items anyway, so this leaves those who choose not to be on line - perhaps 15-20% of the adult population max.

Then the question becomes how to reach them through the bricks and mortar stores and indeed whether they are susceptible to marketing anyway.

Small market share increments in retail are significant, but this group would be the hardest to reach. Given that situation and declining sales of existing products, altering the product mix to include higher margin items that will appeal to those with more disposable income and offloading some cost as well is a fairly obvious choice.

Reply to
Andy Hall

commerce,

commerce,

They may well do, but if 'X' percent of people will not or can't use online comerce it's more or less irrelivant.

Your point being what exactly, other than to suggest that those lower down the income level don't spend money - which they clearly do.

choose

Can you cite a reference as to how you come to that conclusion, why do you assume that those on a lower income don't buy higher value and margin items - they might not buy so often granted.

Of course they are just as susceptible to marketing, ISTM that you really don't 'know' the people you are talking about, you seem to be making some wild and wide open assumptions. Do you really think that those in the top 1/3rd of the income scale would even bother with places like B&Q?

obvious

Only as long as those people use the stores.

As it is, having been into my local B&Q today, and seeing how they have dragged out every odd bit of tatty stock from all the corners of the store room, I suspect that their problems are very deep...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

|| As it is, having been into my local B&Q today, and seeing how they || have dragged out every odd bit of tatty stock from all the corners of || the store room, I suspect that their problems are very deep...

Exactly the same in my local one as well, piles & piles of complete tat in the main.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Very false reasoning. Any customer with cash is a better proposition than one with either a credit card or a cheque. The best customer is one with no money, because you can sell not only the goods, but also the money to pay with! As a retailer you need any customer you can get over your doorstep. Higher income customers are frequently not the best margin generators. Tesco's and Dixons grew to their present size by selling mainly to low income customers.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Andy Hall wrote: Given that situation and

Sainsbury's and M & S tried this, the results can be seen in their share price. It takes a few years to show for a big operation, but it really is the best way to wreck a company other than purchasing an American operation! I have a golden investment rule of always selling any British company's shares when it buys a US one. I've on average saved myself losses 2-3 years down the line 90% of the time!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Only for those people, not for the retailer.

If the retailer chooses not to address these people because the market opportunity is too small and there is lower hanging fruit, then that's his (calculated) choice. There doesn't have to be universality of supply.

Of course they do. The question is on how much, what, how and where. If that correlation is poor for the retailer, he can simply choose to put his efforts elsewhere.

One can look at family expenditure figures from the ONS.

In the 2003 data (last available), the spend as a percentage of income on household goods and services (closest to what a DIY store sells) is

7-8% almost regardless of income.

However, taking the lowest 3 deciles, the expenditure is £11, £12.70 and £17.60 respectively on a weekly basis.

For the top 3 deciles, it's £36.70, £44.40 and £71.90

National average across all income groups is £30.20.

Not surprisingly, across a range of consumer durable product types there is much higher market penetration of some in higher vs. lower income groups. For example:

Over 80% of the lowest and highest decile income groups have a washing machine, central heating and a telephone.

However, it's 90% vs. 20% for home computers, 90% vs. 35% for tumble dryers and 70% vs. 10% for dishwashers, 90% vs 10% for internet connection......

These are national figures and of course there are regional, age and other factors in them.

Not at all. The figures are there.

From the marketing perspective, you have to be able to reach your target customer. It's a little difficult to reach somebody who doesn't have an internet connection with a marketing message delivered via a web site. My point was that somebody who goes out of their way to avoid a major form of communication but does not have economic limitations on access has an agenda for doing so.

I do. However, the only reason is for convenience and likelihood of getting everything in one place when I haven't had time to purchase in advance from an on line source.

Well..... There was a 10% reduction on everything weekend. That's enough to get people into the store. Having done that, it's the perfect opportunity to clear stock.

This seems to me to be a reasonable way to address excess and slow moving lines. I would be more concerned if they kept it in stock for an extended period.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know. I didn't say it was a *good* idea, but it does appeal at first sight to bean counters.

I agree and have done exactly the same on several occasions.

The opposite way around seems to work rather better on average.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That depends on what you are selling in what volume and with what margin.

That's certainly true.

That depends on whether they are buying what you want to sell.

That was the early strategy. For a long time Tesco have taken a lot of trouble to match stock profile to customer base geographically and demographically. This has been responsible for much of the growth in recent years.

Reply to
Andy Hall

market

that's

Whilst, in the case of people like B&Q, loosing sight of their base custom...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I have to agree with you here. For many years I was happy to shop at Asda. This was at the time it was run and owned by Associated Dairies. As soon as they sold out, the store went downwards. Very soon, I learned that they were selling what they wanted me to buy, but not selling what _I_ wanted to buy. They would move goods from aisle to aisle, drop goods that I wanted to buy etc. It took me just a few weeks to stop shopping there. These days, if you look on an aisle devoted to prepared foods, you will find that they only sell their own brands. Choice? What choice?

Moving on to Tesco, they look like losing the plot as well. My local one has just been expanded by giving it an upstairs area. They are also brassing me off with them dropping lines that I like. (I am a green shopper and like organic things) If it continues any further, I reckon that I will move on to Sainsburies. At least the financial pages are saying that they are rising from the ashes at last. Apart from that, they do tend to have better totty roaming the aisle ;-)

Dave

Rant over :-)

Reply to
Dave

Tell them so, by e-mail to as many contacts in the organisation that you can find.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

OK I'll try that and see if it makes a difference

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If lots of people did, it *would* make a difference - "don't waste your complaint - use it".

Reply to
Chris Bacon