Keeping drinks cool in the garden

Let's say you get a cold drink (can or glass) from the fridge & take it outside in the summer. What's the best solution(s) anyone has found to keep the drink cool until you've finished it without having to keep refilling with ice, etc?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

One of these helps.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

All sorts of insulated beakers available from most supermarkets.

Reply to
Simon Cee

What about a wine bottle cooler sleave, of the type you keep in the freezer?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Drink it.

Then, when ready, go get another one.

Reply to
polygonum

Is the *Wrong* answer....

Drink it and . . . . . .Send the S.O to get another and pour it into a chilled glass for you...

Bloody amateurs ....I dunno

Reply to
Nthkentman

If a can, sit it in a bucket of water - once you've had a couple of swigs it will bob around; floating on a semi-submerged ring if it's a glass.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I use evaporative cooling to cool my beer when I'm camping. I wrap the bottle in a cloth, soak the cloth and stand it in the sun. Evaporation cools the beer down nicely.

A similar suggestion I've seen is to put a sports bottle in a sock and soak the sock.

Reply to
Danny Colyer

And there was me thinking that training a 5 year old how to open a beer bottle was a waste of time.

At that age they are pleased to help - I never tired of hearing the question "do you want another beer yet?"

Reply to
ARW

Trouble is, even if there is an infinite supply of SOs and 5 year olds, you have to get up every so often for a piss anyway. (Different if you have a large garden.)

Reply to
polygonum

What does the size of the garden have to do with it?

Reply to
ARW

It isn't worth worrying about the few yards I have to stagger from garden to WC in my town house. But in my country estate, I'd just piss into the hedge and the procession of SOs and 5yos can continue.

Reply to
polygonum

Put a tetrapak in the freezer. When you go outside, put the drink on the frozen tetrapak. They refreeze pretty much indefinitely. That'll make it much colder than a wet sock.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Co2 Fire extinguisher? Might be a bit of overkill though!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That was about the age I started referring to my son as the "beer monkey". 12 years later it's still stuck.

They soon stop though; however recently he's started again - but only cos the bugger wants one himself...

Reply to
Lobster

I'm sure he's found a good use for his empties....

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Camping shops used to sell unglazed terracotta covers, standing in glazed dishes that you filled with water, to keep milk bottles and butter cool.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

i thought you meant you'd just keep pissing yourself lying on the sunbed...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

also as a wine cooler

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If it was that bad, I get my jester in. He'd keep taking the piss...

Reply to
polygonum