Karndean flooring maintenance

We've recently had Karndead flooring installed in the hallway, porch and dining area. It came with a kit that contains a protector, strong cleaner and routine cleaner. Apparently this is all you should use.

I can't help thinking that this is some sort of overpriced stuff they want you to use, it's quite expensive and you don't get much in the kit.

My question is, what sort of maintenance does Karndean need? Is there any need to use the protector? And can I just use some commercial 'neutral cleaner' on it which we use for the marble floor in the kitchen?

Thanks

Reply to
gremlin_95

Two reasons they suggest it, one being the margin they make, two is arse covering - they don't want people using bleach or high alkaline detergents.

'Clean' appears to be a neutral detergent, 'Remove' is a polish stripper' and 'Refresh' appears to be a floor polish.

The routine cleaner @ £5 for 750 ml is a rip off IMO. You could buy 5 litres for that price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If 'Clean' is neutral, possibly something like Ecover or Bio-D washing-up liquid would be OK. It's a soap (IIRC) rather than a detergent and the Ecover data sheet that I used to have gave a pH of 5.5 for the neat stuff. I use it to clean inside the fridge and, after 10-or-so years, there's no deterioration of the plastic.

Reply to
PeterC

Just as I thought then :)

Yep, I already have 5 litres of Jangro Neutral Cleaner which I got for about that price! Is there any need to polish the floor though, it looks nice how it is at the moment (natural).

Reply to
gremlin_95

The reason you polish a floor is two fold.

One, vinyl floors contain chalk fillers which make the floor porous & likely to attract dirt. The polish seals them.

Two, to provide a smooth flat surface - vinyl floors are a fairly rough surface if you examine them under magnification. Smooth surface is easier to clean.

It also happens to shine when polished because the light reflects better off a flat smooth surface.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks, I guess we will use the polish they have provided and when it's finished I will be off my local janitorial supplier :)

Reply to
gremlin_95