joining into soil stack

I am going to be putting a toilet under the stairs of the house I am renovating and am puzzling a little over the connection into the drains. I probably need to discuss the options with the BCO but was wondering if it is possible to join it into the existing soil stack! The house is a Victorian terrace and the current situation is that the main sewer pipe runs along the back of the houses (ours is third in line of 6) and the only current connection into the drain (as viewed from the inspection chamber) is the main soil stack. I haven't excavated around the bottom of the stack yet but there are also an old (outside) WC connection which branches straight into the sewer pipe outside of the IC and a rainwater gulley which does the same on the other end of the IC. there is a diagram and photo at

The original toilet is going and the wall between the kitchen and conservatory is too. I don't particularly want to start making major changes, building new IC's if it at all possible so I was hoping that I could run a connection from under the stairs to the bottom of the soil stack. Any views? Cheers Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

I'm not clear just where your new toilet is going. I assume it's on the ground floor, somewhere near the stairs? Is it a suspended wooden floor downstairs, and you want to run the pipes under it? Or are the floors solid?

From the photo, it doesn't look as if you've got much vertical height to play with to get a suitable fall. The stack looks as if it goes into a clay pipe - then straight into the IC so there's no real possibility of connecting there.

The toilet which you're removing presumably has a clay pipe under the floor? Couldn't you cut off the upturned bit of that and connect your new toilet into the horizontal bit?

Reply to
Set Square

In article , Set Square writes

Hi

I have updated drawing to show new toilet position. Floor in Dining room is suspended timber, Kitchen is concrete. Under stairs is concrete but could be replaced with timber.

I had envisaged the connection running under the concrete floor in the kitchen as it needs replacing anyway. That way I think there is enough fall (the sewer is about 600 mm below floor level).

The problem as I see it with connecting into the old soil pipe is that it doesn't run into the Inspection Chamber and therefore provides no rodding access.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

wondering

sewer

floors solid?

height to

concrete

Can you not just extend the inspection chamber. It's a job far worse thinking about than actually doing ! That way your new pipe could just run into the extended chamber roughly where your disused one is now situated.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There is a minimum height (450mm) at which you can join into a stack. The IC doesn't seem very deep, so there may not be enough height. The maximum length of the branch is 6m and must have a fall of not less than 1:40.

Would it be possible to join onto the existing WC pipe?

Reply to
<me9