Soil Pipe - Plastic on to castiron

Hi,

I am just about to start preliminary work prior to installing an en suite in my bedroom next to the bathroom. ATM the toilet has a connection through the wall onto an old cast iron soil pipe going into the garage floor (garage extension built onto side of house by previous owners). The pipe from the toilet goes through the cavity wall and (viewed inside the garage) bends right onto another cast iron "T" where a plastic vent pipe has been inserted to vent through a tile on the side of the garage roof. It looks like this:

< Plastic | | || || _______| | toilet ( )_______ | ** < Cast Iron | | || || | | | | < Cast Iron into garage floor

What I intend to do is to replace the cast "T" and pipe to toilet with plastic and to fit a cross pipe connector (sorry don t know exact name) ready to drain shower/basin about one metre to the right of "**".

Hope you got the "drift"!

Now the questions.

  1. How easy is it to get the old "T" off without breaking the collar of the pipe going down the wall.

  1. What diameter pipe must I use from the basin/shower?

  2. I assume I can fit the new plastic junction and cut out the relevant holes later or cut it and fit a blank?

  1. If I have to cut the old pipe (because I damaged it), is there a neat way of connecting plastic as the only way I have seen is an orrible rubber "gator" thingy!?

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

In message , Peter Hemmings writes

| |

Probably not to difficult. I had to remove a lead soil pipe from a CI socket when I redid a bathroom. Now that was probbaly bit easier as the lead is very soft of course. But no matter. the joint was sealed with something that appeared to be putty, might not have been, but if you imagine 70 year old putty you get the idea It's wasn't that hard to chip this out with an old screwdriver and a hammer.

I'd probably start by using an angle grinder to remove most of the T, then work down the sides with aforesaid screwdriver/hammer combo, till I could remove the end of the T

Basins normally 32mm, Shower 40mm

I think so, but I've never done this yet.

That is the only thing I have seen, but it might be that plastic joining section might just be the right size if you are lucky - my plastic pipe was a nice fit in my CI socket

Reply to
chris French

OK thanks

Do you know if these must be kept separate to stop the old "gurgling" effect in the basin when using the shower for instance?

OK

What did you seal it with?

Thanks for the assurances!

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

Well, this one of those 'depends' situations . Ideally I think it is best to keep them separate, so as to remove the risk of the problem. Though when I did the bathroom on my old house ISTR that the basin was connected to either the bath or shower waste pipe and I don't remember any gurgling, so I guess it depends on various things.

i'd avoid combining them if I could though.

I used Cerafix 'Roof and Gutter sealant' - mostly because I had some and it seemed suitable for the job - the plastic was a nice fit into the CI so didn't need to fill a big gap.

Like this I guess:

The sealant is black, looks like it might be bitumen based, but I've no idea, doesn't seem to dry hard though - in fact didn't seem to dry really at all.. I'd have thought a general purpose silicone sealant would be fine though.

Reply to
chris French

OK TA

Thanks for the advice, I will having a go at it later next month.

Reply to
Peter Hemmings