JML Exact saw

Anyone seen the ads for the JML Exact saw? Sort of like a mini circular saw.

I like the look of these BUT, most JML stuff gets discontinued after about 6 months and I would hate to be stuck with a saw that I couldn;t get new blades for come next year.

So, is there a mainstream equivalent of these by Bosch or Black and Decker or anyone?

TIA

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

What were you proposing to use it for? IMHO, a multitool with a 'half' circular saw blade which reciprocates is more useful - easier to control hand held.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Primarily, cutting through floorboards, but wanted something lighter than a circular saw.

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Use a jigsaw. Break off a blade so it only just cuts to the depth of the board. Start with the blade near horizontal then pivot it gradually to the work. You can then cut only that board - rather than overlapping the ones either side. For ripping tongue and groove an ordinary circular saw will work fine.

You can use a multitool to do the same job - but it's not as fast as a jigsaw for cutting across a board.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the advert states that this saw has a maximum cutting depth of

12mm so not enough for most flooring (usually 18mm / 7/8"). Worth a check before you buy.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Doesn't work on my jigsaw. The length of stroke is longer than an inch, so you're effectively bashing the workpiece with the stump of the blade you've cut down.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Should still work though, as it effectively is always bottoming out. If the stroke is longer than the board it will just cut into the joist below. I use this method all the time. You have to be firm with it, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Give me the job and I'll finish the tools :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The Exact saw has been around for quite a few years, before JML started to recently market it.

It did not seem to be widely advertised or available, and when I looked at getting one a few years ago, it was internet only, and on closer looking it did seem rather limited to what it could do - basicaly cutting laminate flooring or similar and it does not cut right into corners. it was over =A3100 at that time too

It may be that JML have just taken on the marketing? It will be around for a whil and then the Chinese copies will follow.

dg

Reply to
dg

I was given one as a present. Still looking for the job that needs it.

One thing the demonstrations seem to plug pretty hard is that it has marks on it to tell you where the cut will start and stop - which is useful, but hardly earth shattering...

The plunge spring is quite strong, so the gains in accuracy are reduced by you having to press it down hard to get the blade to show itself...

Reply to
PCPaul