Jigsaws ... Now there's a result then !

A while ago, I had a cry on here about how incredibly piss-poor the performance was, of the expensive Black and Decker jigsaw that I bought to replace my cheap as chips B&D that I had had for years. The new one couldn't be made to cut a straight line in anything tougher than cardboard, if your life depended on it. In the couple of years that I have had it, it has caused me to bodge more jobs than I have in the rest of my entire (quite long so far) life.

A few months back, my daughter bought her husband a Bosch jigsaw, and I have hated him for owning it ever since ! On the couple of occasions that I've had cause to use it, I have bleated loudly about how rubbish my B&D is in comparison.

Well, today, it was apparently father's day. I had completely forgotten this, so imagine my delight, when in came number one daughter, with a shiny new Bosch jigsaw in her hand just for little old me ! What a result. I even had cause to use it on today's job, and what a pleasure it is to handle. It cut through the wood in a dead straight line - and I haven't even tried out the laser guide on it yet - and was totally effortless to control. Deep joy, as Stanley Unwin used to say. I know it's sad getting worked up about a power tool, but I do so unashamedly. Bosch tools it is for me, from now on :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I know it's sad getting worked up about a

No, it is not sad.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

All right for some... I got a pair of Union Jack boxer shorts, size XL (and I'm size M or maybe L) :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, I hope to have the same pleasure on Tuesday! Got p'd off with the Powercraft jigsaw (it needs a guide dog) wandering around and cutting random slopes, so ordered a Makita 720W from Axminster (>£12 cheaper than TS) as it gets good reviews. With a loft to board out I just want something that works!

The Makit's here:

PeterC

I got a Round Tuit mug so I don't have that excuse any more

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

In article , Arfa Daily scribeth thus

Now you could advise all 'n sundry hereon about buying good quality tools and what so they do?, buy a cheapie from Lidl or Adil or whatever the pile 'em high floghouse is called this week and they never get to have a good experience like your now having;))...

Reply to
tony sayer

Its a jigsaw Jim, but not as we know it. You are in for a major treat :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good excuse to eat some more pies then.

Purely as a courtesy so you can fit into your prezzie.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

He could always buy the correct power tool for the job.. jigsaws aren't for cutting straight lines.. that's what a circular saw is for. I would never use my jigsaw for cutting straight stuff its just way too slow. If you haven't used a circular saw for straight cuts you just don't know what you are missing.

Reply to
dennis

I got two cards and a box of chocs. Nice chocs, but even so...

Must've done something wrong somewhere...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

So what about cutting a rectangular aperture for a hob or inset sink?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I'm disappointed.

The d-i-y group mention of the 'plasma cutter' or 'thermal lance' has been sorely lacking over the last year or so. This year, the 2010 recommended tool of choice, the 'pressure washer' also doesn't even get a look in with this particular situation - unless somehow seriously upgraded to

will be soon be open for the 2011 tool of choice. C'mon chaps. It's going to be the lowly 'jigsaw' or 'hacksaw' unless some forthright action is taken. :-(

Pst.... /plasma cutter/, get *that* in your Xmas list :-) ...

"However, modern plasma torches are becoming cheaper, and now are within the price range of many hobbyists"

Reply to
Adrian C

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

"You'll grow into them."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise. Just the job after footie

Reply to
peter

One card, hand drawn by No.1 Daughter. Also chocs, a chocolate tool set; saw, hammer, spanner & screw driver.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A card would do, still waiting, bloody kids.

Reply to
brass monkey

Circ saw + about a minute with a hand saw..

Reply to
dennis

:-)) I've stopped work on the loft until the new jigsaw arrives, so that I can have fun! The cheapo was OK for quick jobs where just a rough cut was needed, but a handsaw is much better! Circular saw next, methinks.

Reply to
PeterC

I have to totally disagree with you, and I have seen mention of a number of other people who would do so too. Unfortunately I can't remember if my jigsaw is Lidl or Aldi, but it is a dream to use - powerful, solid, accurate, etc, etc; might have been as much as =A319.99. It is a always a great experience to use and having suffered the B & D blues and been totally put off using jigsaws, I now look forward to finding reason to use it.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham