Jigsaws ... Now there's a result then !

That, Dennis, is because yours came from Poundland

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They're expensive, and I've got friends with both of them 8-)

Toy of choice these days is one of the several CNC mills between us. I'd have a Cupcake 3D printer too, if only they'd get their finger out and ship it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Then you don't have a decent jigsaw. With the right blade the Makita is almost as fast.

I'd agree in general, but for things like rectangular cutouts the decent jigsaw is the tool.

Jobs like boarding lofts or laminate floor you will need to make mostly straight cuts but also cut outs & curves - jigsaw will do the lot efficiently.

Time you have done that & buggered about a decent jigsaw would have the job done.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Unlikely, I don't have one and have never needed one.

Reply to
dennis

You have obviously never used a proper one. They can cut straight lines just fine.

A decent pendulum action one will lop then end of a 8x2" in 5 seconds.

CS is fine and worth having, however some jobs are easier with the smaller, lighter, jigsaw which can safely be used in one hand.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know which of them flog it, but I have always thought the Parkside branded one looked a good deal better than many. It appears to have a proper cast sole plate for one. It would be interesting to try one in comparison.

Reply to
John Rumm

and without spewing the sawdust all over the room.

Reply to
Nutkey

Interestingly, although I have absolutely nothing good to say about my B&D jigsaw, my B&D 1200 watt circular saw is an excellent performer, and does exactly what it says on the can. Funny how they can make one tool that's very good for the money, and another that is expensive junk !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Neither is a jigsaw for cutting a wavy wandering line, no matter what shape that line is.

I of course use a circular saw for straight cuts where appropriate, but try cutting the straight bits of a sink cutout in a worktop with a circular saw ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I know they can, even the cheap ones if you fit a better blade, they are slow and noisy and don't collect the dust well.

Don't exaggerate, my CSMS will do it quicker but no reciprocating saw is going to be that quick.

As long as you remember not to put the other hand in the wrong place. A circular saw held properly is safer for the operator.

Reply to
dennis

I do.

Reply to
dennis

Agree completely. B&D have always been very variable. I have a D4 router that is wonderful - they were made in the 1970's I think, I inherited this one, and it is my most used hand power tool after the Makita palm sander. But I long ago sent the B&D jigglysaw to the tip, the only good thing you could say about it was that the blade went vaguely up and down a lot.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

So you don't even have one, but you'll gob off about how useless they are.

Classic Dennis...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, very well put

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Bollocks Dennis. No matter what blade you fit, you'll not fix a cheap jigsaw with a case of the shakes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well now, there's a surprise ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Festo plunge saw will almost do it, but the price of that makes a good jigsaw look cheap.

Come to think of it, there's not much price difference between my mid- size circular saw (Makita 190mm) and my good jigsaw (Bosch 135).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bollocks, Dennis. No-one except a halfwit fits a second worktop sink without first acquiring a jigsaw.

Which doesn't actually invalidate your claim.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , robgraham scribeth thus

Lucky you then .. so what make is this?..

Reply to
tony sayer

A better blade will not fix a crap jigsaw. Good jigsaws are also fast and smooth and far less noisy than a circular saw.

No exaggeration required. An aggressive blade a full pendulum action will rip through cross cuts on softwood at a surprising rate.

Held properly means with both hands (on a 7" saw) - that does not leave one free for holding the work. Hence why the jigsaw is better in some circumstances.

Reply to
John Rumm