It will end in tears.......

The next door neighbour had bought his lads a petrol scooter for Christmas.

I know because they woke me up at 5am riding it around the inside of the house.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Be fair, it's going to be difficult riding it up the drive ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Pikey area.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Could hope that the exhaust fumes do their work !!

Reply to
the_constructor

More likely a bus. They are now using it on the road.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Many police forces take a tough line on non-legal scooters.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I was surprised that Paul bought such a present as he is such a law abiding citizen.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I last saw 2 of then riding it down the A61 towards Newmillerdam!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They would ride it on the streets where its illegal.

Reply to
dennis

Is it illegal to ride them on the street?

I would not have had a go on it when his kids offered and driven it down the street if I had known that it was illegal to do so.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not sure if you are saying that Tongue in cheek or not ,but you probably have more to lose than the youngsters if caught. They might not be too inconvenienced by points being allocated to a licence they may not have yet for using a vehicle without insurance etc,type approval registration plate , etc etc on a public road and the adjoining pavements. You on the other hand as a tradesmen who needs his van to earn a living probably don't want to put your licence in more jeopardy than what already is risked by ordinary driving.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I doubt it needs a registration number/plate or, if it does, it should be the least important issue ...

Adam will surely have a blanket clause in his insurance covering him for any other vehicle "not owned ... by him ...".

It is the his neighbour and the kids who are in the firing line - if the local plod are interested ...

... or 'could be' interested ...!>

Reply to
Terry Casey

Pikey ...

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Pikey ..

Reply to
Mr Pounder

My next door neighbour is not a pikey.

He has never done a full days dishonest work in his life.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:24:01 -0000, Terry Casey wrote:

I could be wrong but I was assuming by petrol powered scooter this is one of those scooters that Children have had for yonks, roughly a plank with a steerable wheel at the front and a wheel or sometimes two at the back and no seat. not something like a Lambretta. Such things in recent years have been available motorised ,sometimes electric, sometimes Petrol. Not sure of the status with the real low powered electric ones but those of reasonable power cannot take advantage of electrically assisted bicycle rules as having no pedals they plainly cannot be pedal assisted,even though a leg on the ground could do the same. With petrol ones there is no grey area ,despite being intended as a childs toy if it has an IC engine it is a vehicle and has to be licenced ,registered and operated as a motor vehicle with the rider being the correct age to hold a driving licence of the right type if they are used on the public road. Most would never get approval to be classed as such a vehicle and legal use by any rider is confined to private land. I don't think Adams insurance would cover one any more than if he built a car out scaffold poles an old cement mixer engine and chicken shed wheels. The police could throw the book at him if they caught him riding it on the highway.The more charitable will explain the situation and let you take it home but as it usually unwitting youngsters but if they ignore the advice and are seen again the result is often seizure of the scooter which may lead to its crushing.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg