It does not take the pikeys long does it?

8 minutes from leaving something out to it disappearing, though it did take a couple of hours to dispose of our old washing machine a couple of weeks ago. This used to wind me up as surely it must be theft, but these days I simply make sure that nothing I want to keep is on the front of the house and use them as a service to dispose of stuff, saving myself a trip to the tip. We have a 'special street collection' tomorrow. They'll be all over it ahead of the council crews: Wish I had a camera set up to see them at it.
Reply to
GMM

livestock rustling, indoor gardening and forced railway infrastructure renewal amongst other things.

Reply to
The Other Mike

My council charge a huge amount to take fridge/freezers so the pikeys are welcome. I have an estate car so it doesn't affect me

Reply to
stuart noble

Neighbour put out a TV for the council and it was gone within a couple of hours but what would worry me is that I have in UV pen my address on my valuables . what if they take what they want and fly tip the rest, I've heard I can be done for not ensuring that I disposed of it properly. So I'm not sure what to do when the council day they'll collect in a couple of days.

Reply to
whisky-dave

hours but what would worry me is that I have in UV pen my address on my valuables .

done for not ensuring that I disposed of it properly. So I'm not sure what to do when the council day they'll collect in a couple of days.

Un-UV pen them?

Reply to
Phil

of hours but what would worry me is that I have in UV pen my address on my = valuables .

be done for not ensuring that I disposed of it properly. So I'm not sure w= hat to do when the council day they'll collect in a couple of days.

No longer have a UV pens :-(, but then I'll need to remmeber where I wrote = on things. I know that on my TV I wrote in two places on the outside and on= e of the inside, even so I still wouldn't want my TV ending up in daganham = brook where I see the odd appliance dumpted.

I'd still want to be able to put my TV out for the council to collect rathe= r than someone who's goign to take the metal and maybe flytip the rest even= if I don;t get the blame I'm not happy with it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

"Theft by finding" iirc

Reply to
Simon Wilson

You under estimate the visual acuity of the average pikey! I once had a customer who was in the TV and video rental business in a smart South London suburb. His high street shop had a service road at the back. When he had defunct VCR's to take to the tip he would pile them outside the back door prior to getting his van so he could take them. As he once demonstrated to me they were all usually gone in less than an hour.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

They sit by their computers eyeing up the local "Freecycle" site. If you put something on Freecycle round here, the phone rings before you can shut the computer off.

Reply to
harry

SNIP MAN!!!!

Reply to
Tim Watts

The contents are presumably still owned until the skip is taken away and then ownership probably transfers, whereas fly-tipped rubbish has been deliberately abandoned. I would have thought that made a difference.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

It ought to be the case (I don't know whether it is or not) that fly-tipped stuff is still the property of the fly-tippers. That way the council could return it to them. Or indeed anyone could.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think ownership transfers when something enters the skip.

That is still owned by the orginal person. How can anybody know who dumped it? Hence some one being concerned about their UV marked stuff that was stolen from outside their house ending up being fly tipped and traced back to them. How are they going to prove it was stolen? They get landed the councils clean up bill...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have heard of faster. One bloke took his radiator outside to paint it. I was gone when he got back with the paint and paintbrush.

Reply to
ARW

I know what you mean but what about stuff that the fly tippers don't own, ie. they've nicked it? Fairly sure fly tipped stuff belongs to the orginal owner and they can be billed for any clean up, which may well include having their property returned.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The stuff you gave away to the charity shop:-)?

Reply to
ARW

In message , Tim Streater writes

I suppose you could be done for disturbing the scent of a crime or removing evidence

Reply to
geoff

In message , David WE Roberts writes

They could be moslems - you could be financing the al qaida revolution

Reply to
geoff

Before the sniffer dogs arrive? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Quite likely. Plod offers a caution or prosecution and gets clear-up brownie points if the idiot accepts a caution.

A solicitor would probably have told them to prosecute and the CPS wouldn't bother a court with such nonsense. They'd need to summons the owner to testify.

Locked scrap metal skips on private property are a different matter, about which I've heard of plod taking NFA.

Reply to
Onetap