What to do ...

What to do when I can't garden ? Why plan , of course ! I already know what I'm going to plant , just a matter of measuring out the areas and figuring out how many in each area . The 50' tape measure is my friend ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That's when it's time to add the meat dish. Just wish I saw as many deer when I hunt them as I do in my yard where I can't.

Reply to
Frank

I posted this a few days ago , didn't come thru on my servers - apologies if some get it twice . The post , that is ...

What to do when I can't garden ? Why plan , of course ! I already know what I'm going to plant , just a matter of measuring out the areas and figuring out how many in each area . The 50' tape measure is my friend ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Check _all_ the details of your local game laws. Various places I have lived and been aware of the laws, there was a big honking exception for "on your own property."

Whether that is true at this time for the place you live, or not, is something _you_ need to find out. And, as Derald says, you might also need a bow to keep from having the neighbors freak out. The squeamish ones might freak out anyway, but you're not forcing them to look...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I saw this when you posted it and I think there was even one response to it. I'd check but one of my resolutions this year is to be more rigorous in deleting posts and keeping my files more ordered and I have already deleted the original of this.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

I'm SO glad I live in a clearing out in the woods ... with like-minded neighbors . Bow season here goes until the end of February , and I still have 3 unfilled tags . I asked the local F&G officer about shooting them for eating my garden , he said I better have a really good fence ... fortunately my neighbors are mostly some of the finest people I've ever met , and since I never call when I hear shots , I don't think they will either . But bows are silent ... and the orchard is in range of my living room window .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I might get away with it but while state law prohibits discharge of a deadly weapon within 50 yards of an occupied dwelling the county requires 200 yards. I know a guy that was arrested, taken off in handcuffs, paid a $100 fine and lost his bow just for target practicing in his back yard. I don't need that hassle.

Reply to
Frank

Makes me glad I live in Texas, we do archery practice in a teeny backyard with a six foot board fence around it. I do a little shooting practice with my air rifle too. Homeowners Association rules say no firearm discharges but air rifles are fine if used properly. My property backs up on a retention pond (a requirement in this area) and it's about a hundred yards to the houses behind us.

Our big problem is stray cats that want to poop in our raised bed gardens, the Rat Terrier that lives with us takes care of those pretty quick. She thinks that anything that comes in her territory is a rat.

Reply to
George Shirley

I live in rural Arkansas , and have a 25 yard rifle/pistol range (for sight-in mostly) about 50 feet from my front door ... I can see my deer blind from the kitchen window , and have no qualms at all about sticking the .22 out the living room window to pop a squirrel . The dog objects though , she hates gunfire or any loud noise .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Ours doesn't like loud or shrill noises either. I grew up in rural SE Texas and, after marrying, set up housekeeping on the same property for sixteen years. Shot squirrels and coons in the front yard, had a pond for fishing, and was just a quarter mile from over a thousand acres of wilderness that I had written permission to hunt and fish on from the age of eleven.

After that we moved two or three times in Texas due to job promotions and changes and then overseas to the Middle East for several years. Came back in 1986 and settled in rural Louisiana for 24 years, another paradise for hunting and fishing. In 2012 we moved to the Houston, TX area and everywhere you look there's a huge subdivision and Posted signs. We're here because we are now fully retired and this area is where our seventeen descendants live and we don't have to drive three hours one way to see our great grands and the others. I fish in local water holes and the odd stream or two but I would move back to rural Louisiana or rural East Texas in a heart beat. That's if SWMBO would allow me to.

Reply to
George Shirley

I'll sight my crossbow in in the back yard when leaves are on trees and no neighbor can see me. I'm sure my friend that got arrested must have had a neighbor call the police on him. Not sure how all my neighbors would react if I were to bow hunt and as any bow hunter knows you seldom down a deer on the spot unless you hit the spine. So that means tracking to who knows where. Even in public areas I hunt I've come uncomfortably close to houses when blood trailing.

Reply to
Frank

My back yard:

Wife wanted me to put this on you tube.

Reply to
Frank

Tasty looking little critter. When we were remodeling for sale our house in Louisiana we found a long ago squirrel nest in the eves on the east side of the house and their bathroom on the west side of the house eves. Nasty little things.

Reply to
George Shirley

Found this one on the camera while uploading last one:

This was last winter.

While waiting to upload, I greased the pole to the bird feeder.

I had one a few years ago that the squirrels destroyed.

Wife, unfortunately, thinks they're cute.

One son, a few years ago, had one get between his chimney and the liner and die. Cost him about $1,000 in repairs.

Reply to
Frank