Insulating effect of curtains

Patio doors - double glazed, but HID removed the heavy curtains in the summer as they were old. Perfectly valid they were, but just how much contribution to the room insulation did they give, as I just cannot persuade my wife to get on and use the material she has to make new ones, and even looking onto a black hole makes me feel cold.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Get a cheap IR thermometer and measure the temperature of the inside of the door. Compare this to the walls. If it is significantly lower then you have a case for insulation and curtains are probably the best option.

Demonstrate on another window with and without curtains.

As this is a DIY group, learn to use a sowing machine :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

A bloody lot as far as I can tell if nothing else it disrupts the draft caused by the cold air near the doors so a gale does not blow when it freezes outside.

I've yet to find a completely sealed patio door in any case once its a year or so old.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yeah, you can have my treadle operated Singer...

brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ordinary double glazing is a poorer insulator than a solid 9" brick wall - let alone a cavity one. You need triple glazing to get close.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think he wants curtains not crops to look out on. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Several sowing machines available here:

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you can't DIY some curtains, DIY some exterior shutters. They will work better and you can have curtains too when TOH gets around to them.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like it is a gardening group

Reply to
F Murtz

Sew you say. I blame the computer.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

my experience is that they make a massive amount of difference.

A single glazed door with double lined curtains is better than a DG one, and nearly as good as a full spec insulated wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seeds like a good idea.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Back room newly insulated and with low background heating... Back wall inside - 17degC Double-glazed doors - 11degC Inside of drawn curtains - 15degC

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We get a nasty draft through the keyholes on ours. Have curtains across but I should line them really. Well he should as it's his sewing machine. Got bits of tape across the keyholes at the moment - I did want to invent something you could just fix across and was easier to move - but suspect the market is too small to make it worth while.

Reply to
mogga

the escutcheon for our front door lock has a swivel cover for the actual hole that falls back under gravity after you've taken the key out.

Reply to
charles

ps, these were very thin summer curtains I haven't changed to winter weight ones.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Quite a number of years ago, house was *** very *** cold and drafty. Put up a curtain over one door using a portiere rod. The curtain itself was an old "army" blanket - cheap from some surplus shop - with a nice fabric on top. Simple heading. Length set to brush floor. Difference = astonishing.

Reply to
polygonum

Yebbut that's more about draught-proofing than insulation, no?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yeah I don't think they do them for all types of lock though...

Reply to
mogga

If you trap a layer of air between a curtain/blanket and the door then you create insulation...?

Reply to
mogga