Lining inside walls of garage to workshop conversion

I've started fixing bearers at 24" centres using up my stock of 50mm celotex in-between. What is the cheapest material to use for covering the celotex, I thought of using 12mm plywood but is there a cheaper alternative that is rigid enough to take lightly loaded screws for small narrow shelves etc. What about flooring grade chipboard or similar. Any ideas?

Don

Reply to
Donwill

OSB is probably about the cheapest you could get away with.... I used shuttering ply - not as pretty as normal WBP, but good enough when painted and easy to fix to.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for that John, what thickness of shuttering ply did you use? Don

Reply to
Donwill

I used 18mm shuttering ply in my workshop. Screwwd onto the studs and painted white to reflect as much light as possible and plenty strong enough for cupboards etc For heavy duty shelving, I pick up on the stud centres. Good to see you are now concentrating on the really important bits of your house!! Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I used 2" PIR foam, with ply over. No battens - just stuck in about 6

5.25" screws per sheet into brown plugs.
Reply to
John Rumm

Yes that's how I thought to do it.

Thanks for that Bob, Yes most other jobs are 90% complete, so am able to concentrate more on the "Important" jobs now. I still have not got the Mill up and running, fed up of moving half filled boxes about the wksp so concentrating on storage facilities but of course before I can do that I have to fix the walls with insulation etc; one thing leads to another.

I'm having fun sorting things out. For storage purposes I purchased a couple of SH filing cabinets @ £10 ea, the 2 drawer I've mounted on casters and fixed a table top on it, it's very useful for moving around to various positions in the workshop. The other 4 drawer one cannot be loaded up yet as it's to go against, as yet, an uninsulated corner of wksp; still middle of next week I shall have it sorted. Then to build a bench on which will be mounted the vice which I bought some 3yrs ago, I'm looking forward to having a sturdy bench at last as I've been using a silly folding thing for the last 5yrs. You may or may not have seen a previous post regarding disposing of sliding patio doors, well I think I may have an use for them. When I remove the existing old up & over garage door I am contemplating replacing it with two of the DG toughened glass doors, one moving one fixed., they will let plenty of light in and will face NE so no direct sunlight. Heavy curtains should provide insulation and privacy when needed.

Anyway, how's your welding activities progressing.

Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Thanks John, will consider that method for some of the walls. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

A thought that did occur to me, your suggestion of flooring chipboard, would have an advantage if you needed to control noise from tools etc. The extra density would help.

Reply to
John Rumm

12mm OSB is best as it is so saturated with epoxy that it will act as the damp proof membrane (ack. to Bob Minchin for that piece of knowledge ! :~)). It is also strong enough to take things screwed to it. Plus of course it is cheap ~=A39 a sheet even in the sheds. Rob
Reply to
robgraham