ISP opinions please

En el artículo , tim..... escribió:

works for me. Says I've used 39.33GB so far this month and I'm a third of the way through.

I signed up with the special offer. 12 months line rental paid upfront, free unlimited broadband for 12 months, £50 cashback, using own router come to the equivalent of £11 per month.

That's all in and nothing more to pay for the next 12 months. No calls included, but I have inclusive 1000 min on my phone contract so use that instead.

Contract term is 12 months, so have diarised to check around and migrate if necessary. FTTC should be cheaper by then.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

One thing which might sway the OP's decision towards Zen....AIUI A&A only provide Broadband on a standard line and , thus, you are forced to have VOIP for telecoms....or have another line for your POTS service from another supplier. I'd love to have the A&A broadband offering since they monitor the line for problems and force Openreach to resolve them before I might even know there is a problem. I would quite happily pay the £25 per 100GB. But the prospect of VOIP or another line install stops me from jumping ship. I'm on Idnet who are pretty good at kicking Openreach and will stick with them for the time being. Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

Ah. Must have been an offer here. I'd certainly not have paid to have it installed if there was an option.

They were very efficient. Equipment was delivered when they said it would be, and the fitter turned up when they said too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure where you got that idea. I'm on a BT line and have A&A broadband.

I intend to dump BT and move the line to A&A though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Huge

A&A are a bit like BMW used to be - you think you have bought a car and then find wheels and seats are extra.

On the £25 month 100GB home service A&A use ADSL2 on existing phones lines from the cabinet to your house so your ADSL is on top of POTS as with everyone else doing ADSL+. You do not need an extra line for your POTS service.

If you want FTTC that's another £10 month and is speed capped to

40M/down, 10M up still with the 100G limit.

If you want FTTC 80M down/20M up that's another £15/month.

Both of these options are still on copper to the house so your POTS phone still works.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Oh, that IS interesting. I hope I am misunderstanding something.... My sources:

1) Their home page only mentions "Mobile and VOIP" in respect ot Telecoms 2) Their 'telecoms' page
states 'Our services connect to you using Voice over IP (VoIP)' 3) Their pricelist shows: a) PSTN takeover for broadband service.....No outgoing calls and includes 'broadband only use modem lead faceplate' b) New Copper pair installation which.... does not offer a telephone service

Now, I can see that there is nothing above which explicitly states that their broadband offering must be on a line exclusively for BB use and , given that you have A&A BB on a BT line, I appreciate it is available and I am wrong. I think when I investigated this option some months ago I must have linked their 'VOIP only' offering for telecoms with their constant BB line monitoring and presumed that this monitoring was impossible on a line which also provided POTS. I THINK I'm still correct that if you transfer your telecoms to them then it will be VOIP though?

For me (with long rural line), I have found it much easier dealing with Idnet since moving my phone line to them (I moved my BB to them a couple of years earlier) and , rightly or wrongly, would prefer to have voice and BB with the same supplier. Again, rightly or wrongly, I don't like the idea of VOIP.

Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

OK, that makes sense and thanks for the clarification. My apologies to the OP for any confusion I may have caused.

For my part, I now need to decide whether the line monitoring that I would like is worth around £80 p.a............It was an easier decisio when faced with another line installation and rental :) Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

I don't get it either - I have A&A on a BT line with a POTS line *and* FTTC (and before that, ADSL).

A&A do both naked DSL (no POTS) and (more usually) POTS+broadband.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , tim..... writes

And they do come and install it. Apart from that it's DIY.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Didn't pay any extra for mine - couple of years ago And you could have your access point moved by up to 15 metres or so.

Reply to
bert

Those are the only telecoms services they offer. They do not iffer POTS. So that is correct.

Yes, because that's all they offer.

That's if you want them to take over the line for you. But no outgoing calls. It's slightly cheaper than BT, and also A&A handle all the problems in one place. Particularly useful in companies where it's been known for beancounters to cancel a POTS line "because no one is using it" (but it's the broadband wires!)

Same as above but new install.

I use VoIP exclusively, and wish I could get rid of BT. As I will.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Charles F scribeth thus

Yes we once had a circuit with BT always problematical and switched to Zen far better customer services and they got it put right quickly!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Originally, FTTC installs were all engineer done - they would come, fit an filtered faceplate to the NTE5 box, connect up the modem , check it was all working etc.. (in my case they had to fit a new NTE5 box as we didn't have one.)

At some point (beginning of this year?) they started to offer self installs - I think BT was the first - they supply a router with an internal VDSL modem, so just the one box to plug in - just like ADSL . I'm not sure how amny ISP's offer self installs though.

This will suit some people of course - no need to take time off work etc.

Not sure what happens if you need an engineer install - as we would have done.

Reply to
Chris French

A&A don't do lines, they resell BT and TalkTalk (I think).

I rent copper from BT for POTS, get ADSL over that copper from A&A. I pay BT £4.00/month for Total Care, so when there is a fault it gets fixed within 24 hours of reporting the fault. A&A offer an enhanced repair service but I don't think it matches Total Care.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You do when you pop Total Care on the line. B-) They've pulled an engineer off another job 40 miles away when the first engineer couldn't find/fix the fault.

Standard Care on residential is bad end of the third working day if you are lucky, a week if reporting past 1800(?) on a Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend. Fault won't be properly entered until Tuesday morning...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll plug IDNET - will do a phone contract, line rental and DSL stuff.

Of course it's a resold line/BT backhaul, but at least you don't have to deal with BT retail.

Not that cheap, but the quality is superb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm aware of that. But they resell cheaper (at least in the case of BT) and in the event of a fault I only have to deal with them.

I have TotalCare too. I understand that the A&A offering is resold TotalCare.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, I've been grateful for TotalCare on more than one occasion. Once I'd persuaded the muppet in India that a three day wait was unacceptable:

Them: "...within three working days" Me: "I have TotalCare" Them: "Yes, sir...within three working days" Me: "I have TotalCare and I expect it a lot faster than that" Them: "Three working days" . . (long discussion) . . Me: Please ask your supervisor about Totalcare" Them: "Please hold" . . (long pause) . . Them: "Yes, sir...an engineer will phone you within 30 minutes"

[they did]
Reply to
Bob Eager

a third of the way through what?