Is it time to give up?

New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Reply to
ARW

Buy him a modulo screwdriver and file the pointy tip off?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you sure that it isn't /your/ fault for not using a screw with a combination of a slotted and Phillips head in the first place? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

Reply to
alan_m

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass. That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

I knew it as a "Birmingham Screwdriver".

Reply to
charles

Crinkle cut nails :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

that'd be cultural appropriation if the apprentice is not from the proper community

Reply to
Robin

Definitely a ?Lancashire Pattern Screwdriver?

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

No, treat him a blank sheet om which you will write your wisdom.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I did the same, but it was packing cases. Sometimes if the screw didn't go in far enough you'd have to turn it, but you soon got the knack.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

At least you found that out before you gave him anything important to do, like making tea.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

We were always told not to "Manchester the heads on those bolts".

Reply to
mm0fmf

It's discrimination if he can't do the job..

Reply to
jon

I have a theory that modern education is making us more like computers every day. You have to detaill every eventuality the computer may encounter in doing a certain job, and a subroutine of checking the bit against the screw type is a must if you are designing a very flexible assembly robot control system. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

If the timber was still fresh and soft it wasn't a problem. In my 1976 house the chipboard flooring is fixed with nails that have serrations all along the shaft to stop them working loose.

Reply to
Andrew

Geordie spanner, well known in shipyards

Reply to
Andrew

Or securing the ladders safely on the van roof ..

Reply to
Andrew