Is it OK to borrow an earth?

+1. We have one in the porch - it even works through the front door!
Reply to
Huge

A real energy saver, that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was going to say it was not allowed. And you have just confirmed that.

Reply to
ARW

It's worse than that. It would have to be 4mm green/yellow and follow the route/cable run of the live conductor unless that circuit is RCD protected.

It's a while since this one came up at work but I am sure that was the outcome.

Reply to
ARW

They're LED. And I prefer my pets to be able to see where they're going.

I don't have auto-lights to save energy, I have them to save the bother of trying to turn on a switch when my hands are full.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've done nothing of the sort, I've explained why there's no reason for it to be disallowed.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's his (or his mother's) house, it doesn't have to be allowed.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Is that coming from the same rules that govern the size of a lone earth rod conductor (mechanical strength)?

I wouldn't even know where to start looking that one up!

Reply to
Tim Watts

And supplementary bonding

I am pretty sure that it is in one of my NICEIC snags and solutions books. I'll take them to work today as I really will be doing nothing at all when I get there apart from getting paid.

Reply to
ARW

:-)

Reply to
ARW

543.1.1 The cross-sectional area of every protective conductor If the protective conductor (iii) is not an integral part of a cable, or (iv) is not formed by conduit, ducting or trunking, or (v) is not contained in an enclosure formed by a wiring system.

the cross-sectional area shall not be less than 2.5mm^2 copper equivalent if protection against mechanical damage is provided, and

4mm^2 copper equivalent if mechanical damage is not provided
543.6.1 Where overcurrent protective devices are used for fault protection, the protective conductor shall be incorporated in the same wiring system as the live conductors or in their immediate proximity

I do believe that should answer your questions.

I dunno where the RCD bit came into it.

Reply to
ARW

I've got one of those - I'll have a look...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah - thank you :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

So it doesn't specify it has to follow the cable run of the live conductor?

Is a wiring system in this case the 'whole house'?

Reply to
Fredxx

A sea cu - cumber.(dah di dah dit, dah dah dit dah)

rmlaws54

You lost me there.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword