Is it OK to borrow an earth?

My 89 y/o mother can no longer reach the switch above the mirror and I want to change it for a LED pullcord light.

The old light was installed by a bathroom fitter and was not earthed.

This light requires an earth connection but further investigation has revealed that her upstairs lighting circuit has no earth.

Can I borrow an earth from an accessible ring-circuit in these circumstances?

Reply to
SteveE

And you need an earth because? If its a pull cord the likelihood of earth being useful considering most of the lighting has none seems debatable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it's a pullcord don't bother with the earth. Put a label on the switch: No earth.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes. But label it appropriately.

Reply to
Alan

Its not a good idea to borrow conductors from other circuits.

If you must* take a feed from another circuit, then take the Line and Neutral from there as well (via a FCU). Remember to include the earth for the new circuit into the bathroom's equipotential bonding.

  • One could argue that for a pull cord switch, where any metallic part of the switch is out of reach, one could omit the earthing without too much risk. Better choose a lamp fitting that is double insulated and does not require an earth.
Reply to
John Rumm

Depending on your situation, I wonder if it may be easier for your mum to have a motion sensor switch. It could be a replacement for the existing switch or some bathroom light fittings come with one built in.

Reply to
pamela

I think the issue is the light doesn't have an earth connection.

A pull cord switch doesn't need an earth.

I have often thought passive IR motion sensors are not used often enough, but if still in a bath, such a switch is of little use, and a pain if you actually want darkness.

Reply to
Fredxx

Better to take all 3 conductors from where you plan to take the earth. Borrowing of earths does work, it's not regs compliant of course, and perhaps someone one day will disable part of the wiring system leaving the light unintentionally unearthed. By then it should be all RCDed anyway, but who knows. So don't do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

All my lights are motion sensors, I have zero light switches in my house. Switches are for the last century.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not advisable.

Why not find a fitting which doesn't require an earth?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course. All earths are the same, they're just connected together in the CU. They don't go through seperate fuses/breakers/switches or anything.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I did once have water running down a pullcord when a central heating tap leaked in the loft. Maybe I should have earthed the string?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would something out of reach on the ceiling need an earth?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Thanks, this is why I was uneasy about doing it.

I think I'll take this approach as it will be as easy as just taking a single earth wire down.

Yes, the pull cord will provide some isolation and she is under instruction not to touch the metallic part until it's sorted.

Reply to
SteveE

So when you fall asleep watching the TV you wake up in darkness?

OK I suppose but I think I'd find it a bit worrying.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think there are some sensors which use RF and are exceptionally sensitive compared to infrared. I can see times when an on or off override would be useful but for most of the time sensor-based light could be very convenient.

I popped a couple of battery operated PIR lighting strips into the bathroom (one is stuck under the bathroom cabinet and provides temporary lighting when you wash your hands). I would like to have ther main light on a sensor but the extractor fan comes on for 20 minutes when the room light is operated and it can be a bit annoying.

Reply to
pamela

You could legitimately take a single earth to the nearest light on the same circuit that does have an earth. For this, it would be preferable to use a single insulated earth wire with green/yellow insulation. Often called "singles" and available from all good electrical wholesalers (some like TLC should be able to sell a length rather than a reel).

I don't have the regs to hand so not 100% sure if a CPC (earth) in this scenario *must* be insulated, but it shows the purpose clearly which is worthwhile.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Chances are since it's old wiring there is no earth to any lighting circuit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I fall asleep I want it dark so I can sleep properly. The light simply comes on as soon as I stand up or wave my hand.

And actually it stays on most of the time due to cats wandering about.

You can't be serious, especially not with the light from the TV. And what if you had the light off because the sun hadn't set yet, but when you awoke it had?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you fall asleep in front of the TV, you ought to pick better programs to watch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword