IP ratings...a legal requirement?

Have been looking at bathroom cabinets with lights online. Found one I liked the look of. In the specs there was no mention of IP rating so I asked via the 'Ask Us a Question' what it was.
Just got a reply:
"What do you mean by IP rating? This is not something the manufacturer suppplies us with."
To me this is a basic thing to know, is it? Is there a requirement for electrical appliances to be IP rated
mark
On 04/06/14 11:04, mark wrote:

Yes - there is in certain zones in the bathroom.
Choose another supplier.
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:04:58 +0100, mark wrote:

I don't think somebody works in the right industry...

I think so, under BS7671. But for a bathroom cabinet, of all things, it's incredibly basic information!
On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 12:13:39 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:

But would it be IP rated or zone rated or BS rated. I'd choose zone rating for domestic stuff, IP rating is pretty irrelivent in the bathroom when zones are easier to understand.
On 04/06/2014 12:13, Adrian wrote:

Indeed. It's always there in Screwfix and Toolstation catalogues.
On 04/06/2014 11:04, mark wrote:

The special location section in BS7671 which describes the "zone" concept, explicitly calls up certain minimum levels of IP rating for each zone. Since 7671 is now cited in part P of the building regs, it seems fair to describe the use of the required IP level as a legal requirement.
--
Cheers,

John.

http://niceic.com/en/account/media/17thpg1and2.pdf
I suppose we could "borrow" a copy for the wiki.
--
Adam

On 04/06/2014 18:48, ARW wrote:

We have the info in there already:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title throom_electrics
Could probably use some diagrams though...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/06/2014 18:48, ARW wrote:

in fact looking closely - we already link to that doc ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

I have taken your comments on board and collaged my reply with them. Bit of a tone to it but here it is: mark
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi
I don't think you can be in the right job if you have to ask that question. The IP rating determines if and where an electrical product can be sited in a bathroom. An important safety rating as electrics and water don't get on. If you look at screwfix.com or toolstation.com you will see that they give the IP rating on relevant products.
The special location section in BS7671 which describes the "zone" concept, explicitly calls up certain minimum levels of IP rating for each zone. Since 7671 is now cited in part P of the building regs, it seems fair to describe the use of the required IP level as a legal requirement.
Also look here: http://niceic.com/en/account/media/17thpg1and2.pdf
As for asking me to phone the manufacturer, unbelievable. This is what you should have done. What I will do is find another supplier. Thanks for your high level of unhelpfulness and ineptitude.
Kind regards
Mark ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:28:09 +0100, mark wrote:

. . .

I think you should name and shame.
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:28:09 +0100, mark wrote:

Did it go to a named individual's direct email, or did it go to an info@ or similar? Hopefully, the latter. Mebbe forward it to sales@ or marketing@ - give the management a clue as to the effect on trade their employment of clueless numpties has.

I will tonight. Info on a different 'puter to this one. With regards to the company's employment policy, I'm wondering if monkeys actual eat peanuts?
mark
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:32:42 +0100, mark wrote:

Monkey nuts redirect to peanuts on Wikipedia! :-)
BTW, I noticed one of the disambiguation links for monkey nuts was this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Voronoff

Well, that's just bollocks!
mark

They do eat peanuts: