Invisible shelf fixings

We want to fit some sort of wooden mantelpiece (probably some sort of fairly
think reclaimed oak plank) on the rather plain wall above the fireplace
recess in our sitting room that has a large woodburner in it. I am
intending supporting it with two brackets fashioned from the same piece of
wood. I'm trying to think how I could attach it all to the wall fairly
invisibly, but have no knowledge of the kinds of fittings or techniques
available. Any suggestions?
TIA
Keith
Reply to