inverter for Halogen Hob and Oven

Hi All?

Some years ago we hired a very posh very modern Broads Cruiser this was kitted out amongst other stuff with a ceramic hob (halogen I think) and a largish electric oven and separate microwave.

I can?t remember what it had in the way of a fridge / freezer.

I do remember we had to run the engine to use the cooking appliances and / or the electric heating.

All of this was run via an inverter. It seems lik we an awful lot of KWs.

What kind (and approximate cost) of alternator and inverter would be needed for this?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

It would make more sense to me to generate the 240 volts directly from the engine. No point in an inverter if you can't run off batteries. So likely two independent electrical systems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thats what I was thinking....

Reply to
jon

5kW 24V to 240V inverter £1864
Owain
Reply to
Owain Lastname

Might be worth bearing in mind that moorings may ban the running of engines at night[1]. In such cases an inverter means you can get high power 230V (eg for cooking) while running the main engine and then keep low power 230V (eg for lights and TV) from batteries alone later.

[1] as in the CRT's licence conditions between 20:00 and 08:00- which some people in London who live near canals wish they'd enforce more vigorously
Reply to
Robin

Victron is a very expensive way to go, you can get quite acceptable inverters of that sort of capacity for much less.

Reply to
Chris Green