waterproofing wheetabix

Hi All,

Camping again?..

I am planning to take an off cut of worktop to camp to use as a worktop to put the cooler on.

It?s the standard wheetabix with laminate on the top and front (Bullnose).

It seems to have cardboard underneath over the weetabix core, and it has cut edges both sides.

What is the best way to waterproof the underside and sides to ?Trying to get a tan from standing in the English rain? standards?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Varnish it?

Reply to
GB

I would tray and remove the cardboard, otherwise any waterproofing will be pointless.

As GB has said, varnish is pretty good, perhaps the first coat diluted to soak into the grain.

Another method is to paint waterproof glue on bare wood, a tip from a kitchen fitter to seal the cut-outs for sinks etc.

Reply to
Fredxx

I presume that the function of the cardboard is to act as a balancing veneer to stop the top bowing (though I'd be interested to know how much a top can bow if the underside of the weetabix gets wet). If that is the case, I'd rather varnish over the cardboard than remove it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell