"Inverted" 13 A Plug

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

I'd be tempted to cut off the earth pin and use a pen or whatever to defeat the shutters, effectively turning it into a 2-pin plug. The other end (fig8) isn't polarised, so that's not an issue.

Eye-watering price though.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have even seen wall warts that are too big so you cannot use the next socket or have the cable on the side and all sorts, but I do not think I have ever seen a plug that has the entry on the earth side. Mainly this is because the earth pin is there and it would need to be specially designed to have the cable entry either higher or to the side to make it work.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why? It folds down flat and doesn't get lost like a pen top.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As I say, most of these where the cable comes out of almost anywhere have a plastic earth pin in any case. I don't think its legal to sell a mains wirable fuse without an earth. Sony and others seem to be using a two pin moulded round pin plug on their items clamped inside a 13 amp fused plug with no earth pin there than a plastic one. Even those the wire exits at the bottom. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not entirely safe though. I remember some time ago a local office second hand store was selling benches with 13 amp sockets that had a t shaped earth pin. You could push normal plugs in, but I gather that some original gear that was used in these sockets was no able to be plugged into a normal socket as the earths were T shaped as well. I'd imagine that the supply of this bench was originally non standard in some way, maybe isolated or some such. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That puts the kybosh on anything other than bottom exit, darn it. Makes sense though or you'd have the same situation as we have with wall warts.

Maybe I'll revert to a 12 V CCTV supply and DC to DC convertors for the bits of kit that don't live off 12 V. One of which has a wall wart rated at 3 V 80 mA, wonder how much it really takes? How long would a couple of AA's keep it running...

Thanks for looking at the BS John.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah OK. I'd not seen a 13amp one of those before. We had an IEC connector like that on the visitors "free" coffee machine at work and they use to lock away just the lead. A small order to Farnell soon fixed that little obstacle and we had our own lead then!!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Well there *are* some rear entry ones about - so its obviously not a complete kybosh... (or they are not BS1363 compliant)

You would have to measure the current draw to be sure... And depending on the nature of the load that can be non trivial. (lots of "low power" kit will have huge variations in load as it alternates between doing something and "sleeping" etc). You can normally only get a real idea with a current shunt feeding a storage scope, and then running an integration on the captured trace.

I was intrigued (and surprised as it happens) that it included a statement of that type at all.

Reply to
John Rumm

TH;DR, but I had a picture of a "shim" you could plug into a standard 3- pin socket which inverted it.

It would be interesting to speculate how much it would cost to knock

10,000 up from China ??????
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I heard that patients died when their life support was unplugged by the cleaner.

Reply to
therustyone

(Not that I entirely trust Snopes as it exists to debunk claims on the basis that no-one can prove them - but have they really tried? There may be all manner of false accounts after an original true one.)

Reply to
Max Demian

And of course before the internet and risk assessment etc this did happen at Sheffield Hallam hospital back in 1965 when my Mum was training to be a nurse. No one cared in those days.

I'll tell you how good the hospitals were back in the late 1980's. My Mum was a nurse on the kids ward and at a weekend as I left the nightclub I used to give the hospital a call to find out if she was working on ward 37 or ward 38 - I then took an order of the takeaways and bottles that the nurses working on those wards wanted. I then walked up from the nightclub (Japanese Whispers) armed with alcohol and take away meals.

Getting into the hospital was not a problem. Straight through A&E and through the rear doors at the back of A&E. A lift up to the wards 37 and

38 and in you went. The only security was a mop laid against the doors to the wards. That was actually there to wake the nurses up in case a Doctor visited. The mop falling over woke them up.

On the weekends when my Mum was not working there I did occasionally use the beds on the kids ward to shag the gf (she was a nurse on the kids ward).

Reply to
ARW

Judging by our cleaners it's entirely credible.

The only easily accessible power points are the 3A fused ones on top of the desks. They're intended for mobile chargers, desk lamps, that sort of stuff.

The lifetime of the fuses in empty sockets is about a week...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My cousin recovering in hospital from being stabbed in a Mugging attempt back in the 80's used to order takeaway Pizzas , the delivery chaps always seem to get to his bedside with no problem, ordered one mid afternoon when we visited , always the good host.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg