"Inverted" 13 A Plug

Does such a thing exist?

That is bog standard 13 A fused plug but with the cable exiting out of the plug nearest the earth pin (top) rather than the live and neutral pins (bottom).

Have a load of wall warts that all exit from the top in a multisocket strip but one device is mains and therefor uses a 13 A plug, cable exit bottom. Messy and takes up more space that it ought.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It really irritates me that the cables from wall warts come out of the top. It makes it much harder to put them in an adaptor.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

You can get some where the cable exits from the back of the plug - i.e. straight out from the wall when connected... would that help?

Reply to
John Rumm

Compliant with BS?

Personally on my wall socket strip I solved the problem by inverting two of the sockets :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Also on the same theme, what idiot decided to re-orientate the earth pin, making many multi socket extension leads useless?

Reply to
Broadback

In the "new" (1930s) house I've had to invert a couple of 13A sockets because they're fitted into the skirting and too close to the floor to safely get a plug into. Sockets will be moved as rooms get decorated.

Reply to
nomail

What is really irritating is that some come out the top others the bottom. They all ought to come out the bottom, like a standard plug, IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ok supplimentary question can you get a compact, cheap, 6 way, overall switched with indicator, socket strip where the orientation of each socket can be altered (doesn't have to be an approved user adjustment), preferably in red, with white as another colour option.

Actually 6 way red is hard to come by in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Possibly, depends how far that makes the cable stick out within it's bending radius. The ones I've seen stick out a heck of a long way.

A moulded lead coming out the back and immediatly turning 90 degrees up would be OK.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is, which is why I am going to get some red spray paint, as I have a nice red plug and coily cable which needs to be used for something.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have some that have the cable come out of the rear and some where it comes from the bottom - as well as some where the cable exits the top.

Reply to
charles

don't see why it shouldn't. They both sre made for Azus - I've also got a Nokia one where the cable comes out of the side.

Reply to
charles

Yup. Many are designed for outside and industrial use - often with matchine sockets... e.g.:

Designed to mate with:

Clipsal have something similar:

If you get an extension that uses modules for each socket, you may be able to do that in a multiway strip.

Reply to
John Rumm

Adapt a spare or broken wall wart into a plug? Hopefully one with a brass earth pin? Maplin did wall wart cases at one time, with a proper earth pin. Might have one lying around if you're desperate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure my reading of BS1363 /requires/ the flex to come out of the bottom. From Wiki: "Others included flush fitting, no need for a switch, requirements for terminals, *bottom entry for the cable*, and contact design"

jgh

Reply to
jgh

13A plugs always used to have a hole it the top opposite the earth pin. Useful if you have a radio that needs earthing, but actually it's supposed to be an "inspection hole" to see if the earth pin is connected:
Max Demian

?? Sorry I don't follow. Can you give an example of what you mean?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I thought that too, but IIRC the standard was altered to allow movable plastic earth pins (ISODs if you insist) for this type of folding plug

And they do have the cable exit parallel rather than perpendicular to the L/N pins, so you'd think having had to have the standard altered to allow them, they'd comply in other ways too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its probably the specials made for secure supplies in hospitals and the like. It stops someone plugging a vac into them.

Reply to
dennis

19.1 The entry of the flexible cord shall be between the current-carrying pins at the side of the plug opposite the earth pin. (See Figure 18.)"

(I just checked the 2016 update, and that includes the same section - although I have not read it in detail)

Reply to
John Rumm