Intruder Alarms

Hi,

I'm looking to up-date my very old intruder alarms and quite like the look of a wireless set up. Does anyone know how reliable they are in that are they prone to interference from other wireless devices e.g. mobiles, internet connections, cordless phones etc?

Thanks

Reply to
Fredrick Skoog

Don't you already have the cabling installed for your current one?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We've had this ESP Infinite system in for about 2 years now and not a single false alarm - and yes, it is working when I test it :o)

Seriously, it's very good and I'd highly recommend it.

John

HI The latest radio systems are very reliable and battery life is now up to

3yrs using the provided lithium batteries,interference ,whilst not impossible, is IME very rare and with costs coming down radio is a good diy alternative to wiring numerous 6core cables into an unknown box. If however you are cable literate then a good old fashioned hard wired system is still the cheepest,most reliable system.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Gabriel" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:16 PM Subject: Re: Intruder Alarms

Yes but to say that it is an untidy bodge job would be an understatement

Reply to
Fredrick Skoog

I ask a couple of questions about that?

It doesn't seem to come with a bell or sounder, but can be used with an existing bell box or a new bell box using ES WSM bell box module.

If you don't have an existing bell box you need the ES WSM and a ES WES bell box/sounder?

Have I got that right? Or would you need either of the items listed under the ES WSM?

Do these need a mains power supply?

Also, you can add the smoke/gas/flood detectors, would they trigger the bell box/sounder?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Can I ask a couple of questions about that?

Hmm, no, I don't think you have. We have the ES KIT2 (main panel, PIRs etc) and an ES WES, and that combination makes up a complete alarm system. I think the ES WSM is to convert an existing wired external sounder to wireless operation for use with the KIT2 panel.

Yes. They are wireless in terms of the signal to/from the alarm panel but, although the ES WES has an internal battery, it's only for backup purposes when there's a power outage.

I would assume so, but don't know for sure as we haven't got any of those.

John

Reply to
John

>>> Can I ask a couple of questions about that?

Ah, so the ES WES is a sounder. Not clear on the TLC site - not to me anyway.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You're welcome :o)

Reply to
John

These days the cheaper ones mostly fail silent with interference so you don't know there is any.

Unless you have someone prepared to check your house when it goes off "bells only" systems are not particularly useful. The police won't respond to reports of them going off and if you make the mistake of telling your insurance company you have one it gives an excellent excuse not to pay out if you need to make a claim and can't prove the alarm activated.

Reply to
Peter Parry