Internet and text (OT)

We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details will be available about the track.
However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.
On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won music and lyrics.
While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write and do everything for them.

I was thinking of the historic stuff - created before there was a need for the info.

Likely the same as wikipedia, some chose to do it without any particular incentive or ownership involved.
On 18/03/2019 18:55, Jac Brown wrote:

When you fill details for tracks in on Windows Media Player yourself, does it submit them back to the databases that it normally picks up from? A few like entries could automatically update the databases.
SteveW

Dunno, wouldn’t be hard to test if it does that.
On 18/03/2019 15:47, DerbyBorn wrote:

Well, I contributed entries for CDDB, for those CD's I had which were not in the database at the time. Rather annoyingly, one of these databases switched to being commercial, having started off as open.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Monday, 18 March 2019 15:47:09 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

I think there was always a need for it. People have always had some reason for making their mark on the world from the very first cave painting of han ds and animals they had their reasons for doing it, just as people have rea sons for doing what they do today. What is the reason for graffiti from killroy was 'ere to bansky . Even the pyramids had the builders graffiti in them.
Trouble is in todays world it's usually for profit of some finacial or poli tical/religious gain.

In fact you can make a case that there is rather less of that than there used to be with blogs and wikipedia etc now.
On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 17:46:36 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

ke

ed

son

ave

I can't. I contribute at £30 a year to wiki to help keep it ad free. Most blogs I see loads of ads.
I don't see ads on the NG unless the posters chooses to add the ad themslev es.
Yes you need to have records of who played on what and when and of course under what contract terms. As you know the guy who played the sax solo on GerryRafferty's Baker Street was offered royalties on the session but took a session fee to help pay his bills. Both Gerry and Raf Ravenscroft are now dead, but many times during his life he came to regret not going for royalties... Brian
--
----- --

I was originally thinking of music that was originally analogue and is now digital with all the information retrievable if you download it.

It's all analogue, at least anything we (as in human beings) can hear is analogue. If it claims to be digital it just means that one bit of the route from original sound to our ears happens to be digitised.
--
Chris Green
·

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

I assume it's just /people being helpful/ (or not, if the data is wrong).
--
Max Demian

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

Some unlucky schoolkid whose mother eventually got sued by the RIAA?
--
Adrian C

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

In a similar vein, who uploads all the megahousr of PRON that gets uploded to servers everyday - who pays for the massive bandwidth required, where does it get produced and who pays for it? Doesn't seem to be sponsered by advertising.
Same with the newsgroup films and music - what's in it for the uploader?
Well lots of CDs have cd text on them and if you have a computer you can send this to public cddb sites if you like. Brian
--
----- --
On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

Some CDDB entries get autopopulated from CD text, but a lot is user-contributed. If i buy a CD that isn't in CDDB (or rather freedb), I'll submit it for my own convenience and to help others.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:25:06 +0000, Chris Bartram wrote:

Same here. It's why, when using the CD ripper, I sometimes get presented with two or three database entries and have to choose. The choice of 'genre' is often rather flaky.
On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

Many of the businesses that supply this kind of content seemed to start out as collaborative efforts... i.e. you can download the tracklist for your CD collection here, and if you find any that are not in the database please feel free to create your own with our editor. BTW, you can upload the result back to us as well.
Since you would probably want to do the work for your own collection, there was little additional cost to allow others to share it.
Its how something like IMDB started. I remember a time when you needed to download the client to access the database, and then a complete database plus weekly updates to get in all the new bits. It was a shared community effort to keep it updated.
--
Cheers,

John.