Insulation

Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live in terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the wall to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another wall outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did not do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the floors are just ordinary floorboards. I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you do not mind losing a few inches off your room size there is foam backed plasterboard. On internal walls and cavity walls it can dot & dabbed like normal PB. On solid exterior walls I suspect you would have to batten out the walls with damp proofing between battens and walls. I have not looked at this particular issue but the British Gypsum website has lots of information about various installations.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The most common route would be to dry line it - insulation on the inside of the wall, vapour barrier and then plasterboard. (you can get plasterboard with pre-fitted insulation etc for the purpose)

You can lift the floor, insulate between joists with a rigid board insulation, or a glass wool insulation suspended on chicken wire stapled to the underside of the joists. Then refit the boards. If you can afford the hassle of trimming doors etc, then you can fit a rigid board insulation on top of the joists before fitting the floor. Also things like thick carpet underlay can help.

Either replacement of the whole window, or secondary double glazing.

Also don't forget loft insulation.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have an Anglian patio door, fitted by the original owner circa 1980. Aluminium frame and above the glass units is a single skin aluminium section with sliding vents.

I suspect it loses more heat through the frame and those panels than it saves via the 4+8+4 dg units. Its next on my list for replacement. In cold weather condensation pours down the frames. Not good.

The aluminium frames are very slim, so the tradeoff will will be much more bulky uPVC frames.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Robin

PS/ Spell chucker went berserk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

God what a nightmare that would be there are a lot of outside walls with shelves screwed to them.

Luckily I only have the two outside walls, being mid terrace. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

At least the loft is pretty good with the regulation very thick stuff. Of course when they built the houses they curved the top of the walls near the eaves which made it very difficult to get a meaningful thickness just there. The roof itself you can see out of between the tiles. It can be embracing if you get the wrong kind of snow!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I know, I had to do one in the Kitchen some time ago when it um, fell out slightly while doing some DIY. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Have to be a bit careful on the opening bit. I did try to make something like this some years ago, and it all fell off. No, I think if I'm still alive in a year or so I feel my pockets getting lighter. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not unusual to have schemes where external insulation is fitted, and dealing with window frames and eaves can be a problem

Reply to
Andy Burns

You know, I've concluded after reading this thread that the cost and chaos needed to do much of it is pointless for me, so apart from stopping draughty things and maybe the windows, I'll leave the rest alone. I can just hear Cliff Richard singing. Its Insulation in my head.... argh. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff