Insulating Wire Ends

I have replaced an old wall thermostat with Honeywell TR 3 (on excellent advice from this group) which works brilliantly. It is a simple on-off switch and I have a spare neutral and earth in the backplate which I don't want to cut off as a future upgrade might need them.

I need to insulate them and wondered if something like these wire caps would work:

They seem to be designed to take two wires, I need to insulate these two wires separately, when they touched accidentally my RCD tripped as quick as a flash which I believe is WAD?

Are these caps any good? If not any other suggestions please?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Just get a two gang piece of choc block.

Reply to
Bob Eager

not legal for mains house wiring usual chocblock should do it

Reply to
Animal

Choc block or better still wago 221

Possibly expensive from Screwfix etc. because you need to by quantities of 25+

Smaller quantities on Ebay (but shop around) First Ebay hit

alan_m

Or put a crimp connector on each wire, leaving the free end uncrimped ready to connect another wire if you ever need to.

Reply to
Roger Mills

put heatshrink on them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or 2 x one-gang if space is tight. (I was there late Friday night rescuing a neighbour by isolating part of a kitchen ring which was tripping her RCD.)

downside with crimps is that you can't easily remove them and cutting them off may leave the wires too short

Reply to
Robin

There may not always be room for that though. I cannot see the ones suggested, but back in them good old days, Tandy used to make close ended sleeves that were quite flexible but strong. a bit of superglue and the right size and the job was done. They were a bit like those slide on toggle switch coloured sleeves you can get, but longer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But DONT put both wires into a single Wago 221, you will need two separate ones. Unlike chock block a Wago will short both wires together.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Top posted as Brain contributed.

Many thanks for all the replies :-)

Choc block it will be so that the wires are available >Are these caps any good? If not any other suggestions please?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Use a blind shrink-on cap

Reply to
inri

Squirt some silicone sealant over the ends of the choc block, easy enough to dig out when/if the time comes.

Reply to
Davidm

That's a bit OTT. Green yellow insulation tape is what the op needs:-(

Reply to
ARW

Just put both cables to earth at both ends with some green yellow over sleeving

Reply to
ARW

Or as found in my mothers house when she purchased it - connections made by just twisting the wires together and insulated with Sellotape.

Reply to
alan_m