Car tyre compressors.

My trusty old jump start pack which also has a tyre compressor died. Didn't owe me anything as it had a lot of use as a compressor over the years. But annoying in that I'd recently fitted a new battery - and it's the gears between the motor and compressor which have stripped. Motor still runs, so I'd guess the compressor seized.

One thing that annoyed about it was the useless pressure gauge.

So decided on a replacement. Inflator only, so a lot smaller. Bit like a cordless drill. Vast range of models and prices on Ebay.

Went for a Blaupunkt. Three times the cost of the cheapest but has an 18v

2 amp.hr battery rather than the cheap ones which all seemed to be 12v 1 amp.hr. But not as expensive as so called 'garage' ones.

It works well - quicker than the old one - but the gauge is still poor. About 25% out at 30 psi.

Is it really impossible to make a gauge which actually works?

In the handbook, they quote the spec. But not the accuracy of the gauge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a halfords one, not exactly the same as they currently sell, but very similar

The digital gauge agrees very well with my simple analogue dial gauge

Reply to
Andy Burns

With mine it was the piston in the compressor that came loose. So I bought a twenty quid compressor and run it from the 12V socket on the jump start thingy. The gauge is accurate I believe. It's in rough agreement with the one in the £70 inflator I have for the motorhome.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I bought an electronic gauge from Halfords which has an impressive spec (I forget the details). Assuming it is as good as its spec, the various gauges on the 'cheap' compressors I've compared it with are pretty hopeless. I have an attachment for my 'full size' compressor which is like those you sometimes find in garages etc. It is pretty good although the scale is so small it is rather hard to be sure.

(My problem was the pressure I need- one vehicle requires 80psi on the rear tyres. The small compressors just aren't up to that, at least not in a sensible time.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

What's a tyre compressor? Does it allow you to store your spare wheel in the glove compartment?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I went for a slightly larger "double piston" compressor for the horsebox (which needs 65 psi). Something a bit like this (sorry about the link).

newshound

I have a £70 one from Halfords that is absolutely excellent and very fast, and does 75psi with no trouble, but it draws a hell of a lot of current.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've got lots of various gauges. But the older pop out type not so easy to read as a decent digital one. Digital one I use now wasn't cheap and actually gave its spec. Of course, not easy to check.

All the various compressors with built in gauges I've seen go up to something silly for cars. Even the one supplied in my car toolkit. Reads up to 150 psi, when the maximum pressure ever needed is 34 psi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's one of those things I really prefer cordless for. Packing away that thin long 12v cable and plug in most seems to be a right PITA.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've obviously never had a car with a spacesaver spare wheel. The pressure in these is much higher - maybe 60psi. See "Compact temporary spare" here:

"

Reply to
Jeff Layman

What about Audi expanding spare wheels, you have to inflate it after fitting. Trouble is the punctured wheel doesn't deflate fit the carrier space below the boot. Big problem if you are fully loaded. Guess how I learned this:-(

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Correct. The car in question has no spare of any sort. Hence including a compressor and sealer in the toolkit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm intrigued David- I thought you drove an old Rover, old enough to have proper spare wheel. (I'm going by your comments elsewhere.) Did the old Rovers not have spare wheels? I thought the habit of not having any spare (even a space saver) was a plague of modern cars.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes but some of the multi function boxes contain rubbish pumps (as well as inadequate batteries and gauges). I'm a bit fan though of the Lithium Ion jump starters which are nice and compact.

I'm reasonably impressed by the pump that comes with my Jazz, powerful but compact and it stores the cable and plug away OK.

Reply to
newshound

When they went for a space saver in the 911 they were kind enough to include a big polythene bag, the passenger was expected to have it on their lap if the luggage space was full.

Reply to
newshound

My car-boot-sale footpump is cordless :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Never used the one that my car has instead of a proper spare (despite the space being big enough to hold a full sized spare).

Guess I ought to at least try it to make sure the damn thing works. Sods Law says I'll find out that it doesn't, up on the tops, miles from anywhere, with no phone signal, in the pissing rain (or snow), being driven by a gale force wind onto the side of the car with the flat...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I doubt there are many around using a 35 year old car as their everyday one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, my Lidl one had the battery last very well indeed. For an SLA. But was rarely used to jump start. Compressor was OK - just the gauge poor. And if was bought well before Lithium batteries were cheap enough for such things.

I've no real need for a jump start pack. The old one most often was used to start neighbour's cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. But mine wouldn't have space for the size of wheels fitted to the model now anyway. And has different size tyres back and front. Even a space saver would reduce the luggage space from just about OK to useless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)