Tyre replacement

Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low, mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.

The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:

1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years old.

They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of cracking, but their age is undeniable.

I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete new set.

What would others do?

Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and extravagantly expensive for everyday use?

Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

While sometimes the big national chains can be competitive on the price for tyres just avoid taking up their offers for the free safety check, or a check of tracking etc. This is how they up-sell. The free check will find something that needs changing or adjusting - for an additional cost.

I tend to use a local back street tyre shop where I've always had good service.

Reply to
alan_m

They are a reputable brand, and they have past the MOT so I would keep using them.

What about your caravan?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Noise/wet grip/fuel economy.

I'm sure the standard tests aren't perfect, but I would go by those over the brand name. Some of the budget tyres can score better than the name brands.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It is all a compromise. You could use a soft compound and trade longevity for grip, low noise and fuel economy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I took a taxi a couple of weeks ago, a Toyota Prius operating in EV mode. I thought the road noise to be rather loud, and I wasn't that impressed with the ride comfort.

Reply to
alan_m

People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.

In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only tread and other aspects of condition). Given the range of things which are covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.

[1] Commercial use vehicles are a different kettle of fish.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking everywhere.

Not because they were 'old'

The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact just fine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The guidelines say 7 years, and I have usually observed that. The mileages are generally low, and it always seems a shame to scrap the spares which have never even touched tarmac.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes. For my kit car, that does very limited mileage, I go for tyres with good wet grip and good dry grip (as this is not quoted, very poor economy and wear are often proxies for this) and do further research from there.

Reply to
SteveW

I've never been in a Prius, so I don't know how they compare, but for most cars, above 20mph or so, tyre and wind noise dominate - even for petrol and modern diesels. Some modern petrol and diesel cars are so quiet at slow speed that, in a car park, they're as almost as sneaky as an EV.

Reply to
SteveW

My own experience has been that long exposure to sunlight and being left deflated causes them to quickly crack and need replacement. Out of the sunlight and kept inflated, they last for many years.

Reply to
SteveW

I'd not worry about the age, if they were covered from sunlight and kept inflated, when stored.

Reply to
SteveW

My experience mirrors yours

I've got mostly the same rear tyres on my lawn tractor as it came with in 2002 (the fronts get all the thorn punctures) and they haven't cracked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They go hard with age and lack of use.

Reply to
Andrew

Not since the 1920s, not out of the sunlight they dont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ive got a 50 year old rear tyre on a motorbike thats has no cracking at all it is a bit hard though ;(

Reply to
Mark

Especially when the replacement dies, after only doing a couple of hundred miles, and takes out the alloy wheel with it. (DAMHIK)

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

:-(

Chris