Insulating condensate pipe?

Following up on the freezing condensate pipe thread.

My boiler is located in my garage with pipe through wall to external pipe approx 8 inches of pipe outside. It has frozen a couple of times but I have just pulled the connection in the garage and let it drip into a tray. When the weather improves I will try and insulate the external part, whats best to use.

(An aside to this is I cant buy any insulating material, unemployed no benefits zero income. The joys of home ownership and a supporting government)

I was thinking of using a bubble wrap type material I have, cut into a long strip and wound around the pipe several times and then seal with duct tape. Would this suffice until better times, trying to use what is freely available. Or any better suggestions. (please no job jokes pissed off as it is)

thanks

Reply to
SS

If you havn't much money, drop it into some 32mm plastic pipe "push fit" cost about a fiver depending on how long a run it is.

Reply to
A Plumber

The set up at the moment (short or going outside and measuring) the ribbed type pipe (tube) from boiler Goes into a pipe that goes through the wall to outside (both approx 20mm) An elbow outside and then approx 8 inches of 20mm downpipe to a soak/drain.

Are you saying the pipe through the wall and the external part to replace with 32mm? Or just the extarnal part?

Reply to
SS

Lots of bubble wrap whould help- but is it sloping enough? is it freezing because water stays in there and freezes? maybe a hammer and chisel to make it drain away better?

And plastic pipe on the end bit is going to conduct heat slower than metal. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

The pipe that goes through the wall is pretty much level although only the thickness of the wall (whatever that is, double skin) and then the external downpipe.

Reply to
SS

Just the external bit ought to do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not even a single length of split foam pipe insulation? That is what I used, wrapped in aluminium foil tape to protect it from UV, but duct tape would do, if that is all you have.

It will be better than nothing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There is some building work nearby they may let me have a foot length, failing that I will revert to the bubble wrap.

Reply to
SS