Insulating pipes

Re the previous poster and insulating plastic pipes. Pretty much all of my pipes are insulated but have a few feet in the garage where the combi boiler is now located, the garage also has a radiator which stopes any freezing or dampness. I realised I have loads of bubble wrap so thought to try and use that for insulating the few pieces of pipe in the garage, and in warmer weather will check under the ground floor.

I read on google about using a layer of foil plus the bubble wrap but was wondering if there should be an air gap between the insulation and the pipe, or between the bubble and the foil? I am just wondering the best way to construct this using the bubble wrap.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
SS

I think the thicker stuff was aimed more at preventing pipes with no flow from freezing for as long as possible. (Obviously, they will freeze if the ambient stays cold enough for long enough.)

I bought 2m lengths of the thick stuff from BES a year ago, as they were best value at the time.

11 years ago when I did my central heating, I bought the thin stuff from Wickes as it was on special offer at the time (half price). Nowadays, I might use the thick stuff instead - you can feel some heat on the outside of the underfloor runs when the system is running.

I got quite good at cutting it to fit closely in all sorts of situations. I also tried to avoid slitting it wherever possible, threading the pipe through it when installing the pipe, but you don't have that option now. I have noticed that it has shrunk slightly since being installed - I tended to cut it to length such that there was pressure keeping the gaps closed, but on longer runs, gaps have since opened up anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thick is a neccessity these days. The biggest problem with the thick stuff is where the pipes are close to the wall there is no room, you have to cut a chunk off.

Reply to
harryagain

Explain please.

MBQ