installing fireplace

Our front room has an old fireplace that has been painted white and filled with decorative ornaments by the previous owner. I would like to install a gas fireplace in it but am really not sure where to start. Here are some questions that come to mind.
a) I assume I have to strip the paint somehow and clean the chimney (there is soot falling out of the chimney constantly so I assume it is at least partly open)? b) There is a gas point capped off and sticking out of the floorboard just in front of the fireplace. We do have gas CH but do I need to check that pipe is still connected to the main supply or is that pretty much guaranteed? c) The fireplace itself (not including the surrounding area) is wider than it is high (31 inches wide by 26 inches high). What is the best way to fit a gas fireplace as they tend to be higher than they are wide. d) Anything else I ought to know to avoid burning the house down?
A step by step guide for super dummies would be ideal but any help is very much appreciated :)
Cheers, Raphael

No guarantees whatsoever. We have ensured that the gas points to our old gas fires are well and truely disconnected.

Yes. You will probably need to install a flue, which will probably cost well over a thousand pounds, maybe several thousand. You may find that a chimney sweep will advise in whether a solid fuel appliance may be more appropriate and not require a flue. Much will depend on what is there already, how old the house is and the type of appliance.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

OK.
Ah. Well the question is how do I tell if I need a flue? The house is over 100 years old and the fireplace was clearly used before it was painted over.
Should I just call in someone to look at it for me? If so, any recommendations in London or general pointers?
Raphael

www.nace.org.uk www.chimneyworks.co.uk www.guild-of-master-sweeps.co.uk www.solidfuel.co.uk www.nfa.org.uk
Should get you started. You'll be able to get someone out to sweep the chimney and determine if it needs lining for various types of fireplace.
Christian.

gas
well
chimney
appropriate
old
Whereabouts in London? I can recommend someone in the Twickenham/Hanworth/Feltham area...
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at

gas
well
chimney
appropriate
After my experience with them, I'd advise that a chimney sweep (there's a trade body for them, can't remember it's name offhand) is a good first point of call.
Mine was able to advise with good knowledge of capping requirements for gas fires, smoke-tightness of the chimney, confirm the class of flue and confirm the draw from the chimney.
In fact, the CORGI fire fitter wouldn't have commissioned the fire without the sweep's certificate.
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:54:42 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

A flue is not necessary.

--
All posts from anyone at @privacy.net are killfiled and deleted before being read, as
are most posts from anonymous remailers.

That's a bit of a sweeping* statement for someone who has seen neither the property, nor the intended fireplace.
Whilst there are some genuinely flueless gas fires, these should be avoided as they lead to condensation and are not as safe. Apart from that they will all need flues. Depending on what is exactly found, the flue may need lining, although this isn't a certainty. Also, it is possible to get balanced and fan flued models, if the chimney is on an external wall. This is likely to be cheaper than lining an existing chimney, should lining be found to be necessary.
Christian.
* Sorry about the pun!
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:55:14 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

Only as sweeping as the original statement that it WILL need a flue
--
All posts from anyone at @privacy.net are killfiled and deleted before being read, as
are most posts from anonymous remailers.

Which is completely libellous statement.
I quote myself
"You will probably need to install a flue".
Not "it WILL need a flue", in capitals.
Now fuck off and don't misquote me again.
Christian.
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:46:27 +0000, Tone wrote:

AISI A flue _may_ not be necessary.
Gas Fires can be significantly difficult to fit relative to other gas appliances. They are many different types you might fit. DFE, ILFE, Outset, Balanced flue, Powered flue, Stove types...
You start with a model of fire you hope to fit, get the info for it and then see what it will take to fit it properly.
In any case yo are going to have to have the shminey swept and evaluate it for possible use as a gas flue. It may fail or it may be sound fail other tests like leakage, or it may join to another fire place...
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett wrote:

Thanks all. I have ordered a chimney sweep from NACS. I hope that is the right professional trade body to trust.
On the question of the flue, it seems that maybe I won't need one (unless I plan to fit a gas boiler in there which I don't). It is a 120 year old brick building after all. We will see what they say.
Cheers, Raphael

One of the problems is that a chimney that old is often as leaky as a sieve. What you don't want is smoke pouring out of the skirting boards on the 1st floor!
But you'll find out soon enough!
Christian.