Installing an unusual new WC

I'm busy renovating my daughter's bathroom and she's chosen a swish new close-coupled WC. Unlike anything I've ever seen before, the base unit sides extend all the way to the rear, rather like a back-to-the-wall unit used with a concealed cistern.

However, the downside to this is that all services are enclosed within the unit, including the holes for the seat hinges! Predictably, there are no manufacturer's instructions and even though I will try to get these from the retailer, I would be grateful for any help that I can get. It seems likely that the water connection can be made with a longish flexi-hose before the toilet is pushed into its final resting place, but I'm a bit worried about getting a good seal on the soil pipe. Also, I can see no way to check for leaks once the toilet is installed.

Anyone any experience of this type of WC?

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

Sounds very similar to what I put in a couple of months ago, although we didn't actually choose this model, the supplier had difficult soucing eth other veriosn and offered this as an alternative... the wife definitely prefers the neat look of it as well.

I made the connection to the soil pipe using a flexible connector. To be on the safe side I slapped in some silicone sealant just before the final fitting. the flexy connector was on and off a few times before this due to tiling and flooring jobs, but did not leak anyway.

The supply to the cistern was actually made via a hole in the side of the pan at teh rear of the unit, so this was simply a case of connecting the pipe internally and running a length out through the hole which was then connected up beside the toilet to the service valve.

The toilet seat that came with the pan connected via the top of the unit, esentially it is held in place by a couple of rubber bungs, which expand as a screw is tightened up from the top. As in your case we had no instructions for the seat, etc, but I also had the wrong seat to start with, which was quickly rectified by the shop, along with a new set of fixings. I would imagine that this toilet should have a macthing seat with similar fixings available.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

swish

the

the

worried

although we

soucing eth

definitely

this due to

connecting the

was then

the unit,

instructions

which was

David

Thanks for the reply. My WC pan doesn't have an access hole. I 'phoned the supplier today and was told that they don't do instructions! Their stuff is mostly imported and the manufacturers don't provide instructions. When I asked why they couldn't provide them, I was told that all plumbers know how to fit these things. They did tell me that the pan should be fitted using a flexible soil pipe, presumably the same thing that you have used. I've not heard of these previously, but I see that Screwfix sell them. I have great doubts about introducing a curved, ribbed pipe into the soil pipe system, so will try to manage without using one of these. I'd be interested to know if anybody else has used one of these flexible soil pipes. The shop assured me that they sell hundreds of these back-to-the wall WCs and they have no reported problems with the flexible pipes.

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

snip

I bought the flexible conecntor from B&Q but what screwfix shows here

pretty much exactly what I have used with no problem at all. There is only about 2 inches of the barbed end that you push into the soil pipe, and provided the soil pipe is the correct/standard size it provides a good seal.

I would tend to recommend that you do give this a try, given that this is pretty much exactly the job that it is designed to do.

cheers

David

Reply to
David