Inset gas fire - do I need a firebox with a precast flue?

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help, I am waiting for a corgi fitter to arrive later in the week for the installation but wanted to ask a couple of questions in the meantime.

I have removed an old outset gas fire (precast flue venting from the roof apex - no chimney breast), the new inset fire has it's own firebox, now for the questions :-

1) can I remove the existing clay firebox (which is slightly too small to accomodate the new fire) as long as the masonry & brickwork is sound?

2) would I be better to leave the current firebox in situ & purchase a narrower inset fire?

(ps depth is ok)

The installtion manual does not refer to any existing firebox but only gives dimensions for the opening.

thanks for any pointers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hocking

If the existing firebox is part of the precast flue system then I think you must keep it intact so you'd have to go for option 2.

Reply to
John Stumbles

thanks, not sure of the answer to that - the opening is surrounded by plaster board. Guess I'll wait for the corgi fitter to inspect & advise. Mark

Reply to
Mark Hocking