Re: do I need a hearth with a gas fire?

> I am replacing the joists of the suspended floor (ground floor) and I > am considering of removing the hearth under the gas fire. The gas fire > is rather old but in good working order and is placed about 300mm > above the floor level. > Do I need to keep the hearth? What are the alternatives?

What sort of gas fire? Outset or inset?

It might also depend on the manufacturers instructions. I would expect that for a 'standard' 60s 70s type outset gas fire: a minimum height of

250mm from the bottom of the 'radiants' to the floor+coverings would be sufficient clearance.

For a grate burner or inset type. Then you can still remove the hearth but you would have to reinstate a new hearth on top of the floor at least 150mm wider each side than the fire place opening, at least 300mm forward into the room. At least 12mmm non-combustible surface at least

50mm above the floor (this latter to discourage carpet fitting over the hearth). HTH
Reply to
Ed Sirett