Cabling behind gas fire?

Hi,

We're just in the process of having a gas fire replaced with one of the cheapy inset things from B&Q, complete with mantle piece, etc. Whilst its all apart I would like to put in a cable run from one side of the chimney breast to the other to give us flexibility to move the tv around.

How hot would it get behind the gas fire if I say drilled a hole in both sides of the chimney a laid a piece of plastic waste pipe in there to push cables through. Or would I be better putting the cable run under floorboards?

Si

Reply to
Simon Foster

Simon Foster wrote

I don't know what regulations are, but under my gas fire it's perfectly cool, and I can and do run cables under there.

Safety, physical protection etc may be another matter, IMO it's ok as if I remove the fascia they're on view.

Reply to
mike

You've got to be trolling! There is no way that routing an electric cable through the builders opening behind the inset gas fire box can be compliant! I don't know what the expected ambient temperature behind the inset box is but I'm nigh on certain that it is not low enough. Indeed some inset burner makers forbid the use of soft soldered joints on the gas pipe under a grate burner.

Depending on the hearth construction there may be a fairly easy route: You are only required to provide 12mm of non-combustible hearth surface but are required to raise the hearth to 50mm over the surrounding flooring. Therefore you can put the hearth slab on a 38mm timber battens. The cable can be routed in the void between the battens: down the wall into the space under the hearth and up the wall the other side.

You will need sockets or blank plates either side on the front of the chminey breast, or protect the cable behind steel plate, or bury it >50mm in the wall (these are not so easy aspects).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed Sirett wrote

Well, tell that to the manufacturers; in the void are mains cables to the boiler, a mains lead to the pretty lights on the front, a dial to turn (boiler thermostat) and a button to press. (startup).

Also my speaker leads, still speaking after all these years.

Reply to
mike

You are talking about a back boiler unit. The OP is talking about "the cheapy inset things from B&Q, complete with mantle piece, etc." That sounds to me like an ILFE or grate burner type installation.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed Sirett wrote

I *did* wonder; and I thought my post made it clear that I wasn't quoting scripture

"Safety, physical protection etc may be another matter,"

So I think the "trolling" crack was uncalled for, especially as I have provenance here, more as an asker, admitted, but definitely not a troller.

And I treat you with the respect you deserve, which is a lot.

Reply to
mike

Sorry mike. I was referring to the OP who has not re posted as yet.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed Sirett wrote

Oh, sorry, I'm being oversensitive.

I did notice he seemed to have gorn - I wonder if he's one of those guys who go round staring arguments and b***ing off :~)

Reply to
mike

Heh, but you two seem to be having great fun - although do I now read that as I'm being called a troll for asking for a little advice??

Anyway, the fire is one of these -

- which is being fitted into an original fireplace which has been bricked up provide the right size opening for it. We've also got a hearth and mantle from the same B&Q mix and match range to go with it.

I was thinking that maybe I could drill a hole either side of the chimney breast at the back and put a 40mm waste pipe through to thread my cables? The fireplace is a lot deeper than the fire, so could I then lean hearth stones against the back of the chimney breast over the pipe to protect it from any heat?

Si

Reply to
Simon Foster

Apologies to you Simon. It's not unknown for people to suggest/ ask for advice over something that is (in different circumstances) so wrong just to see if they can get a good few poster worked up...

I guess if the pipe (now called a conduit) is covered with mortar/stones/bricks then this would be OK.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

No problems - now what about that electric heater in the shower cubicle ;-)

Thanks, just didn't want to do it and find a gooey mess of cables after we'd used the gas fire. Noticed the hearth is hollow underneath, I presume I could lay cables under there as per a suggestion in your earlier post?

Si

Reply to
Simon Foster

Reply to