India orders 700 million LED bulbs, prices plummet

or

"In early 2015 the nation adopted a policy called the Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP), which sees the nation acquire LED lightbulbs for subsidised sale to households. Prime minister Narendra Modhi is a big backer of the plan, which plans to reduce India's energy consumption"

2.3GW - that's a helluva drop.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Sounds good but I'm betting it'll be a disater they'll start buying crap LEDs that are made using chemicals that shouldn't be used by untrained kids in dirty dangerous conditions.....

Maybe they should stick to building flyovers.

Reply to
whisky-dave

ght_bulbs_prices_drop_83_per_cent/>

Yes, it will be cheap LEDs. After 3000 hours, a microchip purposely blows the diode and the consumer has to buy another bulb, it's in the manufacturer?s supply contract [1] to get that deal price with the guv.

[1] - allegedly
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

In message , Adrian Caspersz writes

My test Poundland candle bulb lasted 2 weeks. I have probably broken the law by putting it in the bin.

I went yesterday and bought 2 more to see if it was a common fault and to get a receipt to keep in case these fail. They only had 5 left on the shelf.

Reply to
Bill

Cheap junk LEDs have never fared well when I've tried. Philips are pretty solid but pricey (but I have had some in long term heavy use (ie

3+ years).

LEDHut (after a recommendation here) are also doing well after 1+ years and are very reasonably priced.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have 12 Poundland candle LEDs in operation, no failures so far. About

7 months service in an always used room.
Reply to
Capitol

En el artículo , Capitol escribió:

+1.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If you watch some of Big Clives youtube videos where he takes apart various pound shop and cheap Ebay products (LED bulb/lamps) you will find that he considers some to be top class and others shoddy and/or dangerous.

From his information you may be able to avoid those that are potentially dangerous but often you cannot tell from a visual inspection of the product which is well or badly designed.

Reply to
alan_m

En el artículo , alan_m escribió:

I do, and he regarded these particular ones (made by Electrek) as well- made and safe.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've probably used 6 or so Poundland LEDs over last couple of years. None have died and all are still in use.

Yes, it could be difficult to buy them, because they instantly sold out when they came in. They seem to be able to get more stock now, as they do usually have some in stock. They used to be 3W max, but they sometimes have 5W ones too for a pound now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well the room is used but are the lights on? B-)

And how much light do these 3 or 5 W LED candle bulbs give out?

I've also noticed that Aldi haven't had any LED bulbs in for a while, now is this because the proportably higher effciency ones are going to enter the chain or because of reliabilty, I've had two fail. LED chips falling off the board/heatsink. The PSU looks fine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or because so many are going straight to India?

Reply to
polygonum

En el artículo , polygonum escribió:

Heh. Should have seen that one coming. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson