Illuminated pocket magnifier

Looking for a simple magnifier that I can slip into a pocket or bag and carry with me. I find some things more difficult to read these days - still manage quite small type but definitely not as good as I once was.

Magnification, I guess 5x would be fine.

Light, adequate LED, not too blue.

Batteries - something common, preferably CR2025 or similar - not an obscure silver or alkaline cell.

Preferably a pop-up so that the lens is protected to some extent. Also, great if pushing back down switched off the light.

Finally, not too expensive. I simply don't need it often enough to be worth paying out for the best.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

3x would be more common. If you relax the requirement of a built in light the credit card Fresnel lens flat plastic magnifiers are not bad.

And cheap enough to treat as sacrificial.

Something like this meets your spec but I think it would be too heavy and bulky. You can get fold away lenses with no light much cheaper. YMMV

Martin Brown

I'd looked at the Carson but agree it is a bit bulky and, with three AAA cells, heavy, for my purposes.

Not sure what you were linking to in the first one! Edward Samuel Shire (1908-1978), Mathematician, physicist and joint inventor of the radio proximity fuse for explosive devices - very interesting but no magnifier!

Yes - I might find 3x sufficient but wanted to look slightly higher, if possible. And drop down to 3x if I have to.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

And cheap enough to treat as sacrificial.

Finger trouble on my part. Paste buffer had that link in it by chance. Credit card sized flat magnifiers that fit in a wallet/purse.

Carson do a more expensive version with a case.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My father had a really good German one that slid out of a holder rather like some mobile phones used to. Quite expensive though.

I think it was one of these :-

Andrew

Optima low vision? The trendy way is an app on your phone these days of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Mixed reviews as you go round. They seem pretty effective but not as rugged as I'd like - at least, as I'd really expect at the price!

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Yes - and sometimes that is fine. But I find it difficult to use one-handed which is sometimes necessary.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google