first tools

For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best four hand and power tools?

Reply to
Herb Eneva

1) Bahco adjustable spanner (or any other *good* make, not a pound-shop piece of cheesemetal). 2) Screwdriver handle with changeable hex bits and a set of good quality bits covering crosshead, flat, hex/allen, torx. That, including the torx, should allow you to open any electrical appliance.

Those two alone will let you open most things and deal with minor plumbing issues like leaky taps and stuff.

3) If you were actually going to do some actual DIY, then a *good* (Blue Bosch, Makita, Hitachi or equivalent make[1]) battery power driver/drill. Ideally a bigger mains drill and a smaller battery driver that could drill to 1/8", but as a compromise, get one medium battery device is a fantastically versatile piece of kit.

I have one of these:

For it's size it is insanely powerful - it can put 6mm wide 100mm (that's probably No12 x 4" remmebering from my childhood) Screwtite screws (self drilling lubricated woodscrews) into regular timber with ease. It can also manage a bit of light drilling with hex drills.

[1] I speak from a British perspective - there may be "well known good" makes particular to your location.

That still leaves upto one tool...

4) Side cutters for minor electrical stuff. Or good pliers that can actually strip too.

I do not know if it counts as a "tool", but a bloody good torch would be on my essentials list - say a Maglite LED (maybe rechargeable). Pocket 2xAA is a practical size to have in the car but still be useful, or a 4D cell "real mans" version for keeping around the home. I like Maglite - solid, waterproof and serviceable.

You really need to tell us what you usually do? Do you do any auto work, even if it's fitting a new radio, changing a wheel. Any actual DIY or do you just want to be able to fix day to day problems?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

  1. A box of condoms
  2. A "Say No to Drugs" bumper sticker
  3. A large foam pad to put under your gas pedal to prevent you from burning rubber when you accelerate.
  4. Ear plugs for that loud and vulgar crappy rap music that your generation listens to.
Reply to
homeowner

Every house needs...

pliers screwdriver (one that uses bits is handy, saves screwdriver proliferation) hammer crescent wrench (alternatively & better, a set of sockets)

Power, depends on what you want to do with them but...

3/8" drill & bits cut off saw router and basic bits sander
Reply to
dadiOH

Why would a router and a sander be in the top 4? I have both and it has been years since I 'needed' to route something.

Reply to
Thomas

What would you prefer? Milling machine? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I would not limit it to just 4 tools. For $ 20 to $ 50 you can get a tool set that contains many of the most needed tools. Granted that they will not be the top quality,but will be a good starter kit. To that add a corded 3/8 drill, 25 to 50 feet of drop cord, and drill bits. The battery powered stuff is nice, but if not used very much, the batteries will be dead when needed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote in news:25334-50C5C596-271@storefull-

3171.bay.webtv.net:

Two hands and two feet.

Oh, and a working brain is also useful.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Screwdriver Pliers Hammer Duct Tape WD-40

That is all you need for anything!

Reply to
Bill

don't forget the first-aid kit. Well since you have the duct-tape, all you need is paper towels to make a band-aid. I've done that on more than one occassion.

Reply to
rlz

Come on - MacGyver did not have a hammer!

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, He did use his head...

Reply to
Attila Iskander

I was thinking the same thing. I have a router, belt sander, and orbital sander. I have not used any of them in years.

I'd add a circular saw and saber saw to that list before a sander or router. A sawsall is handy too. and yes, an electric drill is at the top of the list for power tools. I also use an angle grinder very often for metal, and even use it on wood occasionally, when I need to hack a small fraction of an inch off a board.

Reply to
homeowner

U forgot the vice grips!!!

Reply to
homeowner

You already got many suggestions, my comment is more about quality. Not every tool has to be the top of the line, but avoid junk.

A poorly made screwdriver will make a simple job more difficult and even more costly if it damages the fasteners. For only a few more dollars, get one with a good comfortable grip.

Pliers and wrenches should have good jaws.

What to buy depends on your needs. Home repair is a bit different that auto tinkering, but screwdrivers are needed fro both. Hammer styles will differ, but again, get a decent one with a comfy grip.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hmmm... why don't you first order yourself a copy of a good home repair book, and count it as tool one. This one is great and has been around for eons, but there are others as well.

(Sorry about the long link... if necessary, copy/paste to fix...)

This book will become an old friend... and has whole section devoted to tools and the like.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

First, ask your neighbors that question. They'll be happy to show you their stuff. Now, you know what you can borrow.

Go buy the second-cheapest Chinese combo screwdriver/wrench/socket set you can find at the after Xmas closeout. Take the neighbor with the best tools on that shopping trip. From then on, as you learn what you'll need, buy QUALITY tools. You can always fall back on that cheapo stuff.

Nobody can tell you exactly what you need. A car-guy will need different stuff from a house builder. Don't be in a hurry. Before you know it, you'll have a garage full of tools, then a shed full of tools then a second shed full of tools. And, even though you have ten sets of socket wrenches, you'll always be missing the size you need. ;-)

Reply to
mike

A book in the age of the Internet?

How quaint.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Good advice. Don't buy junk tools.

I always buy tools as I need them. No point in buying a hand saw when you need to drive screws.

Reply to
Dan Espen

We're all different. I had 2 routers before I bought my first reciprocating saw. I certainly use my router and router table much more often than my reciprocating saw. Just yesterday, I tried my hand at making cabinet doors and drawer fronts. I made a lot of sawdust with my router but the reciprocating saw never left its case. I also used my palm sander, but not my saber saw.

As I said in my response to the OP: We need to know what the adult in question plans to use the tools for before we can offer a list specifically for him/her - especially when we start talking about power tools. Sure, a screwdriver set, hammer, locking pliers and a tape measure are a decent start for hand tools, but the choice of power tools really depends on what tasks are in this particular adult's near future.

Reply to
DerbyDad03