IKEA Gibberish

We went to look at sofabeds - we have one of theirs already and it's very nice, just what we wanted for the conservatory.

"Try each mattress and then collect your choice from the warehouse" says the sign. Great - only one mattress is on display. Well, sort of. The other sorts are there but half way up a wall.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh, but you didn't understand. They were for trying other positions...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It doesn't matter anyway; they won't have the one you choose.

Reply to
Huge

And pay no attention to that man bouncing off the wall.

Reply to
Ian White

I've had cash from Ikea for a wasted journey: they even have a rate per mile for it.

It helps if you have asked for a *physical* stock check before you set out. That way someone goes and counts the boxes on the shelf and reports back to you. If there's not many you know you're taking a chance.

The message from Huge contains these words:

They had all three!

Reply to
Guy King

Homebase has a similar piss^H^H^H^Hstocktaking system. If you go to a store to buy a particular item, especially seasonal stuff like garden furniture, there might be 1 on display. The computer will show at least

  1. There are none in the stores at that branch. They will look at the computer and check another branch, which will show 6 in stock. They call that branch and reserve 3 of them for you, quoting a stock number. You go there the next day and discover the item reserved either doesn't exist there or is a different colour from the one you asked for. This branch rings a third branch, which hangs up on them 3 times. You go home (now 30 miles away) by a different route that happens to pass yet another branch. You walk in and find 15 of the things on show. These had not shown up on any of the computer screens consulted previously.

This is not an isolated case, as similar things have happened on two other occasions. It's not a question of 'Why not go somewhere else?' because in all instances we wanted the particular style/colour/whatever. The only bright spot on one of these odysseys was that we once found an end-of-range fireplace kit (including electric fire) for £ 59ish, knocked down from about £ 200. Just what we needed for doing up the living room before selling the house.

Reply to
Peter Twydell