IKEA Gibberish

Oh, and sometimes a "I don't know" will do better than a guess. Sometimes people will just say what they think you want to hear, just so they an make a sale and move on. That results in conflicting information, and usually several visits back to the shop to buy the extra bits you were not told you needed, or for a refund on an item that was not quite what you were told it was.
-- JJ

No I'm not. What I'm asking is that the specific staff behind the kitchen help desk, in the kitchen section know the basics of thier range.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

IKEA has gone upmarket since I was last in one if they have help desks for product ranges now. However, I still think you are being hopelessly optimistic if you think they ought to be able to tell you more than you can find out by looking in the catalogue.
Colin Bignell

When an item is sold out the notice describes the situation as: 'Temporarily Oversold'
Can something be oversold? (as distinct from double booked) Why don't they just say Sold Out. There seems something about the oversold word that shifts the blame to the consumer rather than it being a supply side failure.
Roger

Marketeer-speak.
It means that they have an order backlog. This is a nice position for the supplier because it allows earlier measurement of demand and possibly improved cash flow.
Arguably it also communicates that something will be available again, whereas sold out can mean that it will never be available again.
The supply side "failure" is that they under-forecasted demand.
Even so, I don't think it apportions blame to anybody.
Roger R wrote:

Saw a memo from our procurement people today, explaining (in essence) that there had been quite a bit of the new accounting software saying "No!". This has apparently resulted in suppliers "receiving none payment" sic.
We were wondering if they bothered to send it in a brown envelope.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

If you live some distance from an Ikea and want to make sure that important stuff is in stock, you can phone and check.
They will then lie to you and you'll waste the journey to the store.
Inside, the assistant will tell you that the particular item hasn't been in stock for ages and the call centre people are always doing that.
When you complain to Ikea, you get the most appallingly condescending reply suggesting that it's never happened before. I've had two of those replies from four wasted journeys and have now given up any hope of ever getting an honest reply from either their call centre, their customer services department or individual store managers.
It's particularly annoying in my case as I live roughly equidistant from four stores and it's of little consequence which one I went to, so long as the stuff was going to be there, but they simply can't be honest and admit that something is out of stock at a particular store.
On 2006-09-03 01:06:36 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@Tesco.net (Roly) said:

This is where you insist on compensation for the wasted time and fuel.
I have done this both with IKEA and Marks and Spencer in the past and have received cash in one case and a store credit in the other.
We went to look at sofabeds - we have one of theirs already and it's very nice, just what we wanted for the conservatory.
"Try each mattress and then collect your choice from the warehouse" says the sign. Great - only one mattress is on display. Well, sort of. The other sorts are there but half way up a wall.
--
Skipweasel

Oh, but you didn't understand. They were for trying other positions...
--
Andrew Gabriel

It doesn't matter anyway; they won't have the one you choose.
--
"Other people are not your property."

They had all three!
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

>-- >Skipweasel >Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
And pay no attention to that man bouncing off the wall.
--
Ian White

On 03/09/2006 03:22 Andy Hall wrote:

I've had cash from Ikea for a wasted journey: they even have a rate per mile for it.
It helps if you have asked for a *physical* stock check before you set out. That way someone goes and counts the boxes on the shelf and reports back to you. If there's not many you know you're taking a chance.
--
Frank

Homebase has a similar piss^H^H^H^Hstocktaking system. If you go to a store to buy a particular item, especially seasonal stuff like garden furniture, there might be 1 on display. The computer will show at least 10. There are none in the stores at that branch. They will look at the computer and check another branch, which will show 6 in stock. They call that branch and reserve 3 of them for you, quoting a stock number. You go there the next day and discover the item reserved either doesn't exist there or is a different colour from the one you asked for. This branch rings a third branch, which hangs up on them 3 times. You go home (now 30 miles away) by a different route that happens to pass yet another branch. You walk in and find 15 of the things on show. These had not shown up on any of the computer screens consulted previously.
This is not an isolated case, as similar things have happened on two other occasions. It's not a question of 'Why not go somewhere else?' because in all instances we wanted the particular style/colour/whatever. The only bright spot on one of these odysseys was that we once found an end-of-range fireplace kit (including electric fire) for 59ish, knocked down from about 200. Just what we needed for doing up the living room before selling the house.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

That'll teach you to stand up for yourself and not be dragged against your will!
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

Nope. It's just that if we stand up against you bloody women, you'll finally drop the subject, then bring it up again later down the line when we least expect it. At least if we act as the under-dog class and satisfy your whims then there are fewer surprises lurking for us years down the line. It's easier this way.
(looking forward to the first year anniversary)
Mike

Ah, the easy way out, that's a man :-)
Heavens! Are you a man or a mouse?
Don't squeak too loudly! You'll learn.

I'm looking forward to the 47th - just hope we'll get there ... it's been well worth it.
Mary

On 2006-08-29 23:56:50 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

How well do you communicate in Swedish or Italian? The language doesn't seem to be as curious or precious as some I've read.
I guess that IKEA operates in at least 30 countries and has almost as many languages to contend with - hence the instructions with pictures and use of as little text as possible, often safety and warning notices only. This is helpful for Matalan customers as well :-)
I've just been looking through installation instructions for taps (HansGrohe) and toilet pan mounting frames (Grohe). Both companies supply step by step instructions in picture form with dimensions where needed. In some cases there are multiple options of how the installation can be done depending on what one wants to achieve. The pictures are very carefully orgnanised for cases where one can either do option A followed by B or C followed by D but not A followed by D etc. It takes some time of careful studying to work it all out - there is little text at all - but the information is all there. Goods of German origin tend to have this type of instruction material very well done.
I suppose that intended audience matters as well, and IKEA's suppliers could have done a better job of the instructions. Is there inofrmation on where the hood was made? Most tend to come from Italy, but IKEA may be sourcing elsewhere. IME, products coming from latin language countries often don't have quite such good written English instructions. Usually they are not confusing but do take some working out. Hopefully it's made up for in other ways such as in the design appeal.

Wasn't Matalan enough for one week? Surely LIDL would be a better next military target...... ;-)
Perhaps we could call it "retail cleansing"
OTOH, I suppose that the enforced promenade past all of IKEA's wares is deserving of some "correctional attention" Even so, they seem to have got something right - I wouldn't mind a small portion of Ingvar Kamprad's wealth.
Perhaps we should just get Kofi Annan involved. He seems to be exceptionally skilled at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I always go in the exit and walk throught the checkout. No-one's ever said anything.
--
"Other people are not your property."