Ifor wiliam trailer grease

Hi all,

I have a small unbraked P6 Ifor Wiliams trailer. Last year before taking it on a long run I had it serviced as a wheel felt sort of gritty when turned by hand. The guy who looked at it tightened the bearing on one wheel and replaced the bearing on the other. He said he had packed both bearings with long life red grease. He recommended adding about 6 pumps of grease to the nipple on each hub annually. Unfortunately when I asked he could not remember the name of the grease!

That was about a year ago. It has seen occasional use since and I would like to add a few pumps of grease to each hub as I am going on a long run again.

Could someone please suggest the name of a suitable grease?

TIA

Reply to
chade

Pretty much any lithium grease described as suitable for wheel bearings. Something from your local motor shop would be fine.

Reply to
newshound

A search on long life red grease comes up with this:

Probably a bit more than you need. It is lithium based so, as suggested by newshound, any lithium based bearing grease ought to do.

Reply to
nightjar

Ask Ifor Williams what they recomend? Might be on their website?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For extra peace of mind, just jack up each side and spin the wheels, you already know what "gritty" sounds and feels like. You can also rock them from side to side (i.e. try to change the direction they are pointing). There should be just a little play at the wheel rim. They are not that difficult to adjust, but overtightening is the most common cause of failure for adjustable bearings. But if they were done last year all they should need is a few pumps of grease.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

Thanks guys. I think I know what I need now.

Reply to
Chade