B&B/Guest House and covid rules....

We run an opticians and the PPE and cleaning between clients (recommended/demanded by the government and professional bodies) is bordering on mental... But we oblige.

So I was surprised when I stayed in a guest house at the weekend (booked a long time ago and delayed due to lockdown) where there was scant concern, ie. at breakfast there were self service cereals and juice etc. Strangers in a dining area, not particularly well spaced and all handling the same stuff. It was a relatively high end place where an otherwise attention to detail was sensed.

I'm not particularly concerned about covid, though I could well do without it so not flirting with it unnecessarily, but wondering what people think of this and what the rules are (if anyone knows).

Reply to
R D S

But involving the face. When the beauty clinics were first allowed to open they could do most things provided it didn't involve the face.

Self service buffets have been sort of frowned on for a while, particulary in "high risk" places like cruise ships and norovirus. The buffet is OK, the problem is the shared utensils, solved by having someone serve.

I'd have thought a B&B's breakfast room would come under the same requirements as a cafe or restraunt. ie seated, socialy distanced and table service only. To avoid cross contamination, one member of staff person takes and serves orders only, another clears and cleans anything a customer has come into contact with.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I think you highlight the problem. They seem to say that you do a risk assessment, often its the insurance company who need to be satisfied. If they are and anyone sues, then you are fine, if not then you are probably going to get a nasty shock when you try to claim and the gov will probably shut you down. Having said that many garden centres which initially had one way in and out to the cafe etc, seem to have crept back into normal service with just separated tables and supposedly, families or bubbles one per table, but who can tell? In the end I do feel the gov want people to push the envelope slowly as it gets the virus slowly out there, but hopefully without the huge mass of simultaneous serious cases we saw at the start. I'm tempted to suggest that most of the low hanging fruit have now been cropped, if you get my drift. The remainder are probably people with some immunity due to a previous encounter with a related virus or who are newly exposed or vulnerable but now there are fewer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

R D S presented the following explanation :

I think it is mostly a case of do what can be done, to limit the spread. We have had five or six meals out since they reopened and most places seem to be trying at least, to restrict the spread. I don't expect anywhere to be perfect, most buildings were just not designed to accomodate such issues as these, just reasonable steps where such is practical.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Like one door to enter and another to leave or the one way system to the bogs. The one way system often results in you passing more people on the circuit than if you used the same route in and out (to and from).

Around six weeks ago I used one of the motorway service stations. Bleeding arrows in every direction, especially in front of the bog entrances.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m was thinking very hard :

I ignore the arrows (and the Indians), if I know I will not cross anyones path.

..and if you miss the turn, you have to go around again :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1

I have eaten out at about 10 places - cafes, pubs and restaurants - and I have a very similar opinion to yours on the efforts people have put into place to keep people safe.

Reply to
ARW