If you watched dragons den tonight

That was my brother with the disaster zone bricks

Luckily, the government of Haiti seem more interested than the old fogies

Reply to
geoff

Didn't see it but it's always struck me that DD is an entertainment show.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Also - a source of good publicity if you come out well

Reply to
geoff

Yes, did see it. How long ago was it filmed?

The one that caught my attention was the extractor fan which extracts through the WC pan, so smells never enter the room in the first place. The reason I noticed it is that I've seen it before, in 1986/7 (when I bought a previous house). I have been keeping half an eye out for it since, but never saw it again. It was in one of the DIY sheds as a retrofit kit for a standard WC. I think it was a Texas at the time, but it changed names several times.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, anything on TV is primarily entertainment - even "news" programmes. Their primary function is to draw in eyeballs and any usable content is merely a side effect of that imperative.

Reply to
pete

They are called rim extractors IIRC and yes they have been around for decades but aren't very popular. They used to make you feel cold but these days with CH they probably don't.

Dyson will be along to patent them shortly and claim them as a new invention like he did with cyclonic separators.

Reply to
dennis

He never said he invented them. In fact I saw an interview where he explained he had seen them used on a farm to separate chaff from the air from a threshing machine and thats what gave him the idea. He patented various forms of miniaturising them to a size where they could be used in a domestic vacuum cleaner.

I don't own a dyson so no idea how good they actually are. I know they get mixed reviews.

As an aside, the ball vacuum was based on the ball from the ball wheelbarrow. I wonder what happend to that ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thus spake sm_jamieson (sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

I've had a Dyson DC01 since 1995 and it's still going strong, though it's now on its second brush roller and belt. The hose tools are almost useless, but it's good at the upright cleaning bit.

Reply to
A.Clews

When was that then?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I thought I'd seen it before too, but maybe this was different in using the soil pipe for the extract duct.

Not sure how it would work in a stack without a vent pipe using an Air Admittance Valve - the extract air would have to go down to teh sewer and up the nearest stack with a vent.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, that combined with separating out down to cigarette smoke particle size.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Rubbish, they don't use cyclones for that, there are two big filters that work the same way as any other filter.

Reply to
dennis

: : No such thing as bad publicity. :

Tell that to a certain Mr Ratner!...

Reply to
Jerry

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

A couple of months ago IIRC

I remember some big fat moustached bloke who looked like James Robertson Justice demonstrating one on TV - must have been in the early 70s

Reply to
geoff

The chap that was a producer for tommorrow's world had some sort of patent on this idea, I remember him selling it to a german firm in the mid 70s. I cannot remember the german name he gave it but is was a long word.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

AJH

Reply to
andrew

aka

Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you read the description of how he developed the cyclone for small particle size collection, he used HEPA filters as a way of assessing the cyclone performance. Once it could capture smoke particle size debris, without the inline HEPA filter gaining any weight in the process he figured the cyclone was effective enough. So when working at peak performance it should capture smoke sized particles with just the effect of the cyclone.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bob Symes did it on Tomorrow's World around that time IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

Every bloody time he pops up.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon