snap dragons still snapping

It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5 flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal?

btw, my sister showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4 other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

Reply to
Gus Overton

25 is pretty hot. I would have thought they would thrive on that temp. They usually do well over 15 degrees in our garden. I find they wilt once you reach 30 degrees or the middle of July heat.
Reply to
Hench

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of each.......

David Hare-Scott

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

Only use US American degrees where I live.

Reply to
Gus Overton

I use the Cecilius system. Maybe the OP is using the F system. I don't know anything about that system. Is 25 in the F system hot?

I thought 25 Cecilius was good for snap dragons.

Reply to
Hench

That's how they lost Mars Climate Orbiter. One side was using English and the other was using metric. Unforgivable! Who the hell was watching the store!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It's below freezing which is 32 degrees F. You need to allow for those primitives who don't know about Celcius or you are in fact typing past each other.

probably

David Hare-Scott

There is no such scale and this is not where you live but an international forum. It is peculiar to the USA that so many citizens think what they do is normal, even universal, but in fact it is not so. Just as we need to allow for differences in gardening custom ( eg, naming plants such as pumpkins) I think being explicit about measurements is useful for good communications.

David Hare-Scott

If the OP would have typed the letter F, then i would have realised.

Of course I run into this problem on the cooking forums too.

Reply to
Hench

I almost did, tbh, but thought it was obvious, given the time of year. Sorry. Seems like most people here are in the States or Northern Hemisphere from posts I've seen.

Reply to
Gus Overton

Many years ago the US made a half-assed attempt to join the metric world. Road signs were po$ted with mile$ and kilometer$. Of course people took the easy way out and the experiment faded away.

OZ did the right thing; went cold turkey overnight. The adults seem to have managed to survive with metric, and the kids never knew anything else.

I have always understood that the US pays a trade penalty with the rest of the (metric) world for labeling in English.

Maybe this has been remedied. Anybody know?

HB

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

If you type into Google:

25c in f

Google returns 77F.

Seemed pretty obvious to me that 25F would be no good for any plant.

Pretty sure I learned about squeezing a snap dragon to make it open and close before age 10.

That's 10 years.

Reply to
Dan Espen

mechanics have to have two sets of tools. I remember the metric road signs, but don't remember seeing one in years... Oddly, 10K races are popular in the US.

Reply to
Gus Overton

Fahrenheit or Celsius? And is that Earth years? Usenet gets to other planets, doesn't it?

Reply to
Gus Overton

Usenet may get there, but it doesn't come back. Even if it seems like it does at times.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Apparently in the USA metric is approved but not compulsory (or traditional measures are not forbidden) consequently there is no money available for conversion and education costs so nothing is done.

Correct. It wasn't really such a big deal.

David Hare-Scott

Lurkers...

Reply to
Gus Overton

Well, 'He who plays with old British Sports Cars' and to whom I've been married for more than 4 decades, mutters on about a larger range of tools than just Metric and Imperial.

IIRC those tools names include Whitworth, BSF, Imperial, Metric and also I think I recall BA???

I have no idea what most of those mean. I just mutter 'Yes Dear' when he goes on about them just as I do now when he talks of 'preselector gear boxes'. The sad thing is that I do know what a preselector gearbox does and how to use one.

Reply to
Farm1

Nope. I now do conversions form Imperial to metric very easily. Perhaps that is due to having made furniture for a hobby for a while.

Reply to
Farm1

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

it is taught in the schools and it appears on all packages that i've seen in recent years along with the other measurements.

songbird

Reply to
songbird