If you watched dragons den tonight

The more you stretch it the more the effect of the suction. Its because the hose is like a concertina and the suction pulls each of the folds inwards. When they are fully stretched the pulling action acts along the length of the hose more than when the folds are not fully stretched. Just draw a simple force diagram and you will be able to see what is happening.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

That burst, iirc. Operator incompetence, though. The system is quite sound if done correctly. There'a mansion-sized excresence-in-the-country up the road from me that was built using those blocks. I noticed in passing how quickly the shell went up.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon wrote

Do you think that someone in a third world country, and just after some disaster, would be given enough training so they didn't make the same mistakes?

Reply to
Alan

Didn't they also have to mix in special steel "flukes" with the concrete?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hope you're OK after the one last night? Anywhere near you?

Reply to
Peter Watson

That's the beauty of my brother's system - flatpack snap together blocks, not bulky as polystyrene is. Steel struts which need no more than a spanner to tension them. Can be bulked our with soil, sand, whatever, no need for concrete or other "prepared" filler

Simple and effective in an emergency situation, not envisaged for building tower blocks or cathederals

Reply to
geoff

Can you bulk it out with Dennis's brain?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Tsk Tsk. We need that to render down for biofuel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry no, they're bigger than Lego blocks

Reply to
geoff

You'd get more energy from a birthday cake candle

Reply to
geoff

True, but that is worth something.

Dennis' brain has no intrinsic value.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm 500 miles away to the north, but the earthquakes have been jiggling my security cameras! I was lying in bed at the time of the big one, and I think there was a thud. Years ago when I heard a noise like that there was an earthquake registered.

Reply to
Matty F

Strongest one I've felt sounded like someone had dropped skip full of bricks onto the drive, then the windows buzzed for a few seconds as though they were being vibrated by a nearby diesel engine - it was only a magnitude 4.1

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns saying something like:

At the time of the Indonesian tsunami, I was reading just prior to dropping off to sleep when there came several muffled thuds on the wall of the building, as if some bugger downstairs was hitting it with a hammer. Next day I looked up the details on the USGS site and found it coincided neatly with the timing of the Indonesian quake, allowing for the estimated time of transmission of the pulses from there to here (about 45mins, iirc). This building has a concrete shell of 10" thick blocks, and ground floors of v.thick poured concrete, so it picked up the dings and resonated slightly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Which one ?

The one where lots of western tourists were affected, or one of the two others since where they weren't ?

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Pah. Ripples in a bathtub compared to the Big One. Anyway, the natives don't count.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Fuck off - the last one destroyed Pangandaran, one of my favourite seaside places

completely flattened it

Reply to
geoff

On the contrary - its never been used!