If a downstairs interior wall ...

... is built with the thickness of one house brick, and is supporting a similar wall and floorboard joists on the level above (3 bedroom 1930's house, wall between front reception room and hallway), is it likely that I will demolish said house by hanging 30Kg of wall cabinet on it?

How do I establish what the maximum loading is for wall cabinets and shelves on a particular wall? I realise this is somewhat of an open ended question. I just don't want an open ended wall...

Reply to
Adrian C

A lot depends on the quality of construction of the wall. If possible spread the load across battens.

1930s might be old enough to have hidden gaspipes for gas lighting in the walls ... depends when your locality got electrification.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks. It will be batten along the bottom - cabinet resting on it, and I'm thinking of using a batten under the top edge then screwing through the backing (which is structual for the cabinet) on top of it. It does have a kitchen cabinet claw / wall metal plate attachment at both top corners, but knowing my luck the screws will find minimum pension at the weakest material in the wall so I'm not keen on that.

Actually this wall is giving me a bit of doubt which is why I'm heading towards batterns. It does contain brick but it's basically plaster and lath, and it looks maybe (found while doing electrical work) that the bricks are filled inbetween the wooden supports. "Brick Nogging" google tells me, now that I've started researching it. What's the holding strength of that if I screw into brick vs wooden support?

Nope. The property was electric (metal conduit) from the outset (1932 / Harrow) though did have gas fires in the fireplaces for a period. All those pipes & conduits are now long dead, place rewired late 70's.

Reply to
Adrian C

There is a fair chance its not even load bearing (usually the one separating the front and back reception rooms is - and the joists often run front wall to middle, and then middle to rear wall)

Can't see 30kg making much difference.

Reply to
John Rumm

Adrian C coughed up some electrons that declared:

30kg will be fine on any[1] wall. The fixings however will need to suit the wall construction and whether the load is pulling away from the wall, or only in shear (downwards). [1] Even most wooden studwork walls, provided you attach to studs, not the PB. Think kitchen wall cupboard full of plates. If the wall is brick, no worries.

If it's breeze block or some other ash block you might need a slightly better fixing to cope with strong pulling loads, like a TV on an arm.

What are you hanging and do you know what the wall's made of?

More than you think in a typical pre 60's house.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S