I thought he was just making a base for a CNC router

I don't know if any of you watch Russ on the New Yorkshire Workshop channel? Very highly skilled woodworker, or so I thought.

I thought the first couple of vids were preparation for a big router, and indeed they were.

However I was totally unprepared for the final result:

An outstanding bit of engineering, design and construction IMHO.

(Parts 1, and 2 linked in the video description)

Reply to
John Rumm

2 hour youtube video? Interesting but a bit anal t.l.d.w.
Reply to
fred

It really is worth watching; 2 hours flew by. He can turn his hand to just about anything.

Reply to
Reentrant

Must admit I learnt a few things from that... the most interesting was the vacuum hold down system he put together. It had never occurred to me that you could suck something down onto a table *through* a solid sheet of 19mm MDF! Still he must have had 10kW of hold down suction alone if all those motors were running.

The spindle power was astonishing - when he made that first cut at almost full depth in a 19mm sheet at what seemed like a rapid traversal rather than a cutting feed rates, and it worked, nothing snapped, bent or deflected, it became obvious he has designed something capable of industrial production capability. Even my largest 2.2kW router could not come close to that cut performance.

Reply to
John Rumm